Classification: Exempt/Full Time
Reports To: Senior Director, Research & Analytics
- The role of Director, Consumer Research is to support international marketing efforts through the development, direction and implementation of consumer research and analysis for Brand USA. The individual filling this position will have the opportunity to drive consumer research programs that will guide global marketing efforts and assess the impact of marketing campaigns. This role will manage relationships with internal and external partners, leading project teams through objective setting, study design and execution, data analysis, and reporting
The Director, Consumer Research responsibilities include:
- Work closely with internal clients (including mid-, senior-, and executive-level leaders) to develop and implement research studies that touch on key business issues and strategic opportunities
- Manage and direct all phases of primary research (including both qualitative and quantitative studies), handling multiple projects simultaneously, to inform both internal and cooperative partner initiatives
- Establish research methodologies, study specifications, procedures, timelines, and necessary tools for effectively meeting research objectives.
- Develop survey questionnaires for a variety of data collection modes, program surveys, analyze data, and report on the results
- Synthesize primary and secondary research into actionable insights through the creation and management of an insights library that includes critical research materials, benchmark surveys, competitor analysis, and relevant trend data
- Monitor secondary research resources to identify consumer behavioral trends to support marketing decisions, strategic thinking, and program development.
- Generate and communicate a broad range of materials (PowerPoint presentations, written reports, and articles, etc.) to effectively communicate key research findings and analysis to management and external constituents
- Inform strategy development through relevant data analytics, integration, and insights.
- Provide clear and actionable reporting regarding consumers and markets that connect to strategy development
- Prepare requests for proposals (RFPs) to select research company(s) to conduct market research on behalf of the company and make recommendations on the research vendor selection.
- Manage the work of selected research vendors to ensure accurate and timely results related to (1) determination of target markets and messaging for the marketing programs and (2) measuring the direct influence of Brand USA-placed advertising and marketing on future visitation to the U.S.
- Represent the company in front of key stakeholder groups by presenting research insights
- Proactively and regularly communicate research findings to applicable stakeholders
- Research new data and reporting solutions and vendors and propose new solutions for information gathering/research
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- At least eight years in a research function, managing custom research (across both qualitative and quantitative studies) and working with syndicated research, preferably within or working with travel & tourism companies
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and prioritize strategic and tactical issues
- Outstanding analytical skills and comfort working with both large and small data sets. Familiarity with SPSS is required
- Significant experience leading end-to-end research, including creation of the research goal, methodology, data collection, data analysis and formation of business insights
- Outstanding verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Experience with project management and data analysis, including the ability to manage multiple priorities, stakeholders, projects, and deadlines simultaneously
- A proven track record of triangulating disparate data and turning them into business recommendations and actions
- Able to synthesize a lot of information into a highly visual, concise story (expertise in PowerPoint or Keynote)
- Professional demeanor and excellent communication skills (verbal and written, including business writing and presenting to others)
- Demonstrated interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Experience in managing and/or directing outside research agencies
- Demonstrated ability in forming trusted advisor relationships with internal partners or external clients
- Ability to present overarching strategic concepts, detailed data and relevant insights in an organized and concise manner to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in a related subject (such as social sciences, mathematics or economics) or equivalent work experience
- Graduate studies in a related subject are preferred
- Fast paced, professional office environment with moderate noise levels
- Must be able to use a computer at a work station for long periods of time and to accommodate potentially frequent interruptions
- Limited travel may be required
Brand USA’s business hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Our standard work hours may vary based upon position requirements. Additional hours may be required during peak times, which may require an adjusted work schedule, overtime, and evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA)
Brand USA will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Brand USA has an organizational commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, economic circumstances, national origin or veteran status.