Community Middle School Education Specialist (Cornerstone)
About Graham Windham
In full partnership with families and communities, Graham Windham strives to make a life-altering difference with children, youth and families who are overcoming some of life’s most difficult challenges and obstacles by helping to build a strong foundation for life: a safe, loving, permanent family and the opportunity and preparation to thrive in school and in the world. With over 500 full-time employees serving children and families in multiple programs throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, Graham Windham provides an exciting and enriching work experience.
About the Position:
The Community Middle School Educational Specialist will provide comprehensive educational advocacy and support to help 6th, 7th and 8th grade students perform at grade level, gain promotion to the next grade and enter quality high schools. The Specialist will provide assistance to students directly and to their parents/caregivers, to meet educational needs.
Duties & Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Deliver individualized assistance with the high school selection processes to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students and their families. The Specialist will ensure that all students apply to high performing, best-fit schools and will track these schools along with the outcome of selection.
- Facilitate learning sessions for middle school students and their families to provide education on the high school selection process.
- For 6th, 7th and 8th grade students, lead essential skill building activities and workshops for student success in middle school, high school and beyond.
- Collaborate with the Graham team and DOE staff, including guidance counselors and teachers, to ensure students are not at risk for attendance and are receiving the supports/services they need to succeed in school.
- Refer all students in need of academic help for tutoring and follow up with tutors regarding the students’ performance, needs, and any concerns.
- Connect all students with advanced skills to supports for Specialized High School test prep and support for applications for Screened High Schools.
- Use an online platform to monitor and update academic milestones as it relates to attendance, service and support, tutoring and individualized education curriculum, and record progress. .