POSITION GOAL: The Cook assists in the preparation of all foods according to an established menu in a timely manner.
ENVIRONMENT: Over the past 20 years, Blakeford has established itself as the premier provider of solutions for seniors in Nashville and the Middle Tennessee region. From its beginnings as a single-site, continuing care retirement community, Blakeford has evolved into the innovative leader in long-term care for the area. Along with our CARF-CCAC accredited lifestyle and health services community, Blakeford at Green Hills, the organization also includes our CARF-CCAC accredited home and community services provider, Blakeford at Home, as well as our “continuing-care-without-walls” offering, LiveWell by Blakeford. Under the auspices of a visionary board of directors, teamed with a long-tenured executive leadership team, Blakeford is poised to continue to expand its mission of serving seniors and their loved ones by fulfilling our Service Vision of “Exemplary Service…Every Time!”.
ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES: Based upon a core value of Integrity which Blakeford defines as “Doing the right thing every time”, our organization strives to adhere to the following values in all that we do:
- Community – Nurturing a sense of connection and belonging.
- Compassion – Caring from the heart.
- Respect – Honoring and valuing every person.
- Consistency – Always being exemplary.
- Innovation – Encouraging the pursuit of limitless possibilities.
- Empowerment – Supporting hospitality inspired solutions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES: The Cook:
- Prepares all food according to an established menu in a safe, efficient and sanitary manner.
- Prepares food so that it is ready for service at specified time.
- Conforms with proper techniques of food handling and cleaning to ensure optimal infection control.
- Covers, dates, labels, rotates and disposes of all left over items in accordance with established policies.
- Assist Lead Cook and Sous Chef when necessary.
- Able to adapt to variety of job duties and situations, including the willingness to work flexible hours, during staff shortages or emergency situations.
- Interacts with co-workers, physicians, residents and all other customers in a manner which encourages harmonious working relationships, enhances the image and reputation of the facility and promotes positive customer relations.
- Supports the facility’s mission statement by dependability in attendance, punctuality, maintaining confidentiality, the timely completion of assignments, and attention to principles of professional ethics and quality service.
- Has a commitment to professional and personal growth through development of skills and knowledge, as well as improvement in the facility’s performance.
- Ensures the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all residents is maintained.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
SUPERVISION & LEADERSHIP:
Receives close supervision related to specific work activities, and assignments; usually receives frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed and assignments are typically short-term.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or GED; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB: None
SKILLS REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISH THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB:
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, and short correspondence. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to residents, and other employees.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standard situations.
COMPUTER OPERATIONS: Basic computer skills