POSITION GOAL: The Kitchen Steward assists in the assurance of proper kitchen sanitation including the responsibility for all manual and machine ware washing and assisting the lead cook, when requested.
ENVIRONMENT: Over the past 20 years, Blakeford has established itself as the premier provider of solutions for seniors in Nashville and the Middle Tennessee region. From its beginnings as a single-site, continuing care retirement community, Blakeford has evolved into the innovative leader in long-term care for the area. Along with our CARF-CCAC accredited lifestyle and health services community, Blakeford at Green Hills, the organization also includes our CARF-CCAC accredited home and community services provider, Blakeford at Home, as well as our “continuing-care-without-walls” offering, LiveWell by Blakeford. Under the auspices of a visionary board of directors, teamed with a long-tenured executive leadership team, Blakeford is poised to continue to expand its mission of serving seniors and their loved ones by fulfilling our Service Vision of “Exemplary Service…Every Time!”.
ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES: Based upon a core value of Integrity which Blakeford defines as “Doing the right thing every time”, our organization strives to adhere to the following values in all that we do:
- Community – Nurturing a sense of connection and belonging.
- Compassion – Caring from the heart.
- Respect – Honoring and valuing every person.
- Consistency – Always being exemplary.
- Innovation – Encouraging the pursuit of limitless possibilities.
- Empowerment – Supporting hospitality inspired solutions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES: The Kitchen Steward:
- Is responsible for all ware washing, manual and machine.
- Assists cooks, when necessary, with food preparation.
- Is responsible for proper chemical usage and storage
- Assists the Wait Staff with clearing dining room tables, as needed or as directed by the Executive Chef or Culinary Services Director.
- Is responsible for the assembly, break down, and proper cleaning of dish machine and related equipment.
- Uses machines and equipment properly and in accordance with any applicable safety guidelines and reports any damaged or malfunctioning equipment to the Executive Chef.
- Maintains overall sanitation of dish room, including walls, floors and equipment.
- Interacts with co-workers, physicians, residents and all other customers in a manner which encourages harmonious working relationships, enhances the image and reputation of the facility and promotes positive customer relations.
- Supports the facility’s mission statement by dependability in attendance, punctuality, maintaining confidentiality, the timely completion of assignments, and attention to principles of professional ethics and quality service.
- Has a commitment to professional and personal growth through development of skills and knowledge, as well as improvement in the facility’s performance.
- Ensures the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all residents is maintained.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef or Culinary Services Director.
SUPERVISION & LEADERSHIP:
Receives close supervision related to specific work activities, and assignments; usually receives frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed and assignments are typically short-term.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Less than high school education; or up to one month of related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB:
SKILLS REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISH THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB:
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read a limited number of 2-3 syllable words. Ability to print and speak simple sentences.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
COMPUTER OPERATIONS: Basic computer skills