POSITION FUNCTION AND PURPOSE:
The Materials Manager will oversee the planning, procurement, storage, control, and distribution of materials and products according to company needs and customer requirements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Directly responsible for the appropriate scheduling of in-bound, inter-plant, and out-bound materials and logistics operations in keeping with Lean Manufacturing principles and ensuring material availability as required.
- Controls inventory levels, conducting physical inventory and cycle counts, reconciling with ERP system; Responsible for plant level inventory accuracy, annual physical inventory planning and execution, inventory count reconciliation and meeting working capital targets.
- Utilize the ERP system to ensure material availability in support of production requirements
- Directs production planning and scheduling based on sales forecasts.
- Develop and implement materials handling procedures to ensure safe, accurate movement of material through facilities
- Oversees shipping and receiving functions related to purchased parts and finished goods.
- Provide day-to-day support and guidance of plant scheduling and materials personnel in meeting business performance objectives (Cost, Quality, Delivery, Working Capital).
- Coordinate, consolidate and publish daily/weekly/monthly/YTD metrics specified by the scorecard process
- Support and coordinate with local/Corporate Materials functions in developing plant level supplier development activities as needed. Serve as primary plant liaison to Corporate Materials functions and Supply partners.
- Develop plans and direct execution of defined storage and inter-facility storage and logistics to improve the flow of material throughout the facility
- Recommend system/process enhancements to Plant Manager and related Corporate functions.
- Authorize premium/expedited freight expense in absence of the Plant Manager
- Investigate, correct and eliminate at the root cause any manufacturing component shortages (both internal and external).
- Implement continuous improvement projects, such as Kanban systems, to improve efficiency of material movement and cost effectiveness of inventory on site
- Other duties as assigned.