The Volunteer Program Coordinator supports the Fleet’s mission and Visitor Experience Philosophy by coordinating and administering the Fleet Science Center’s volunteer and internship programs. Essential duties include recruiting and on-boarding new volunteers, organizing volunteer recognition and appreciation events and the management of our volunteer information system. The Volunteer Program Coordinator works closely with departments and managers across the organization to ensure that their volunteer needs are being met.
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Works closely with volunteer supervisors on recruitment, screening, placement and scheduling of all volunteers and interns.
- Develops partnerships with volunteer organizations, corporations, schools and colleges in order to create a greater awareness and participation in the volunteer program.
- Coordinates and presents at monthly staff (volunteer, intern and employee) new hire orientations.
- Maintains the volunteer database system to ensure all required forms and documents are current, completed and on file.
- Provides volunteer database training for volunteers, supervisors and others as necessary.
- In partnership with volunteer supervisors, develops, implements and coordinates volunteer recognition and appreciation events.
- Engages with groups, corporations and various internal departments to organize and execute group volunteer events.
- Prepares reports related to the volunteer program for a variety of constituents.
- Assists volunteer supervisors with performance counseling and coaching to volunteers/interns and maintains and enforces discipline policies and procedures.
- Assists in the maintenance and update of the volunteer program handbook, supervisor handbook, procedures, forms, volunteer policies, etc.
- Attends various volunteer organization meetings to remain current on volunteer program administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a full time position, eligible for the Fleet's employee benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k, in addition to paid vacation, holidays and sick time.
Working for the Fleet comes with some great perks including free access to other Balboa Park museums and the San Diego Zoo, free Fleet Science Center passes to share with friends and family, discounts at the Fleet's Science Store and Craveology Cafe and other discounts at vendors around Balboa Park! Come join our team!