The Fleet Science Center's Building Maintnenace Technician supports the Fleet Mission and Visitor Experience philosophy by performing general maintenance, repairs and preventive maintenance throughout the building. In addition, this individual is responsible for providing support to all department and visitor needs throughout the facility.
This is a part time position (20-25 hours per week), ideally working a Sunday-Thursday schedule.
Reports to: Engineering Director / Building Technical Supervisor
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Repair or replace facility equipment and provide technical support for all building systems.
- Monitor facility equipment and Fleet vehicles as required to ensure equipment performance and reliability.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance and maintain an active parts inventory.
- Manage and track all work orders. Work with supervisors on any assistance or clarification that may be needed.
- Assist in building renovations as assigned.
- Assist with the installation and dismantling of traveling and permanent exhibitions as needed per supervisor approval.
- Act as a back up to the Exhibits Technician as needed, per supervisor approval.
- Responsible for E Waste, bulb and battery recycling and stocking of safety supplies / equipment.
- Research and provide ideas for facility improvements, parts and projects.
- Provide feedback to create better processes for the department.
- Must be able to work independently and balance workload, weekly check in with supervisor to monitor workload.
- Responsible for clean organized workshops and corridor.
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures.
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY THE PERSON ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. PRINCIPAL DUTIES ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THOSE FUNCTIONS THAT ARE ESSENTIAL TO THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS JOB. AN INCUMBENT MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM ALL OF THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES OUTLINED ABOVE.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT STATE OR IMPLY THAT THE ABOVE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. AN EMPLOYEE HOLDING THIS POSITIONMAY BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM OTHER JOB-RELATED DUTIES AS REQUESTED BY MANAGEMENT. ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH A DISABILITY.
Working for the Fleet comes with some great perks including free access to other Balboa Park museums and the San Diego Zoo, free Fleet Science Center passes to share with friends and family, discounts at the Fleet's Science Store and Craveology Cafe and other discounts at vendors around Balboa Park! Come join our team!