Provide methodological support for CHEST’s clinical practice guidelines development program. Conduct systematic reviews based upon IOM (National Academies) standards and develop clinical practice guidelines using the Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE) approach, consistent with CHEST standards. This includes, but is not limited to, development of clinical questions, development and completion of literature searches, data extraction, assessment of study quality, meta-analyses, completion of evidence profiles and “evidence to decision” tables, and development of final guideline recommendation statements. Coordinate guideline development, dissemination, and implementation efforts with the volunteer Guidelines Oversight Committee, Education Committee, CHEST journal, and CHEST Foundation, as appropriate. Coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously including writing reports, managing guideline development efforts, assisting in the development of expert panel reports, maintaining literature databases and EndNote libraries.
- Demonstrate a passion for crushing lung disease and embody CHEST values: honor the team, lead with integrity, leverage passion, cultivate innovation, and have serious fun.
- Conduct comprehensive and systematic literature reviews on assigned topics, including development of evidence-based guidelines, expert panel reports, and other scientific resources, which will include but not be limited to the following:
- Develop clinical questions utilizing the Population, Intervention, Comparison, Outcome (PICO) model
- Formulate search strategies, determine inclusion/exclusion criteria, and conduct systematic and comprehensive literature searches
- Screen search results to identify relevant studies
- Acquire articles, maintain article files and EndNote libraries
- Review articles and extract relevant data into evidence tables (summary of findings, descriptive, and methodological assessment tables) and evidence profiles
- Assess study quality
- Conduct meta-analyses
- Write systematic reviews
- Facilitate interpretation of evidence tables and profiles
- Conduct literature searches to assess currency and determine the need for or justification to conduct a new or targeted update of existing guidelines or expert panel reports.
- Assist in the refinement of CHEST’s policy on guideline methodology to improve ongoing development, dissemination, and implementation.
- Work with guideline project manager during planning, development, publication, dissemination, and implementation. This includes coordinating panel and project development; establishing and managing timelines and budgets for each project; and conforming to department policies and procedures.
- Assist with the development of implementation and evaluation tools to be used with CHEST guidelines, guideline derivative products, consensus statements, and evidence-based programs.
- With staff support (e.g., guideline project manager), assist with planning and coordinating conferences and meetings of the assigned guideline or consensus statement panels, prepare minutes, collect materials, maintain databases, review manuscripts, and submit documents for review and publication.
- Maintain regular communication with department staff, members of the GOC, and assigned guideline/expert Chair(s) and panel volunteers.
- Support guidelines dissemination activities, including maintenance of CHEST Web site, provision of detail for communications, and participate in presentations, podcasts, or educational sessions, in coordination with other CHEST staff.
- Develop research reports and papers on topics of interest to CHEST. Draft requests for proposals, funding applications, manuscripts, and other papers as assigned.
- Represent CHEST as an innovator in the guideline development space: Remain active in the guidelines community and represent CHEST within said community.
- Collaborate with clinicians and CHEST staff to develop derivative products for published guidelines to foster physician best practices and greater use of evidence in daily physician-patient decision-making. Work with other team and departmental staff to assess effectiveness of derivatives and continually improve product functionality and development processes
- Perform methodologic reviews of guidelines submitted to the CHEST Journal by outside medical societies in collaboration with the CHEST Editor in Chief.
- Assist with other projects and tasks of the department, as necessary, including obtaining articles and documents requested by CHEST staff.