Reports to: Senior Director, Women’s Initiative
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union – Level 2/3
Minimum compensation: $51,000/$54,000
American Progress is seeking a Research Assistant or Research Associate to assist the Women’s Initiative team by providing research support as needed, primarily on topics related to women’s economic security, health and rights, and broader equity issues that affect women’s daily lives. The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the Women’s Initiative can rely on to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support, including quantitative analysis. A successful Assistant/Associate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communications on behalf of the team. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are important. In addition, this position will support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Provide research support on key policy areas for the Women’s Initiative, including by analyzing datasets, reading and summarizing existing research, reviewing state and federal legislation, and more.
- Provide rapid response policy analysis both for internal and external audiences.
- Prepare outlines and/or first drafts of policy columns, briefs, and reports.
- Manage coalition and advocacy efforts, including assisting in the coordination and planning of public and private meetings and events.
- Assist in the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of large-scale research projects.
- Help coordinate with American Progress’ Press and Social Media teams and regularly promote the Women’s Initiative’s products online.
- Help provide operational and administrative support to the team, including scheduling, processing and filing forms, and helping with grant reports.
- Perform other duties, including administrative help, as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in a relevant field.
- One to two years of professional experience for the Research Assistant position and two to four years of professional experience for the Research Associate position.
- Experience working on health care and/or economic policy.
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to gender equity, including at the intersections of race, ethnicity, economic status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and parental status.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The minimum salary for the Research Assistant position is $51,000, and the minimum salary for the Research Associate position is $54,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.