JOB TITLE: Dance in Schools & Communities (DISC) Accompanist
DEPARTMENT: Education & Training
REPORTS TO: Education Programs Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, non-exempt, non-benefited
COMPENSATION: $66.11 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled. Review of applications will begin on 9/30/21 and will continue until the position is filled.
HOURS AND LOCATION: Approximately 3-6 hours per school week, on-site at SFUSD schools during the 2021-22 school year
Under supervision of the Education Programs Manager and the Associate Director of Education, this position provides musical accompaniment that elevates and supports the dance curriculum for SF Ballet's Dance in Schools and Communities (DISC) youth education programs. DISC Accompanists are committed to working with DISC Dance Teaching Artists to deliver engaging age appropriate accompaniment that enhances the DISC Residency Program and other classes and workshops for K-12 students. DISC Accompanists are professional percussionists with experience drumming for dance classes in diverse educational settings for K-12 students.
SF Ballet's Education & Training Department is currently seeking qualified and versatile percussionists to join the education team for the 2021-2022 school year. Teaching assignments will be in-person at SFUSD elementary school sites. We are looking for dedicated accompanists and teaching artists specializing in various styles of drumming. To better reflect the community we serve, we strive for diversity in our teaching staff. Interested applicants should visit the SF Ballet website to become familiar with the various DISC programs https://www.sfballet.org/celebrating-40-years-of-dance-in-schools-and-communities/. Submit resume and cover letter here. Cover letter should include a statement about the candidate's experience in the field of arts education working with students of various ages and abilities in diverse K-12 educational settings.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides musical accompaniment that elevates and supports the Dance in Schools and Communities (DISC) curriculum and class content. Under supervision of the Education Programs Manager and Associate Director Education, and in collaboration with the DISC Dance Teaching Artists, provides appropriate accompaniment using diverse percussion instruments to enhance the dance education DISC residency program customized to the needs of the youth participants, cooperating K-12 teachers, partner site, and culturally-responsive curricular content. Accompanies dance classes with a range of music traditions in diverse educational settings. Percussionists are responsible for their own instruments, including set up, take down, transportation, and storage of all instruments.
- Participates in ongoing DISC professional development activities, orientations, workshops, and meetings held in-person and on Zoom.
- Performs required administrative duties such as submitting weekly time sheets, lesson plans, school site residency reports, and evaluations. Regular communication with SFB staff regarding all aspects of the DISC Program and timely response to communications from supervisors.
- Presentation of a professional demeanor that appropriately represents DISC and SF Ballet. As a productive member of the DISC team, forms positive relationships with youth participants, classroom teachers, school site administration, teaching artists, and accompanists.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.