Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspiring a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography, and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, we recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, dancers, musicians, production crew, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work, and serve. Join us, and you’ll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
The Student Manager oversees student life for the Academy’s Professional Program and Summer Intensive Program. The Student Life Manager hires and supervises the dorm chaperones, and resident advisors and facilitates Health & Wellness, Career Planning, and Social programming for students. The Student Life Manager communicates regularly with students, their families, and the Academy faculty and staff. The successful candidate is detail-oriented, can multi-task in a high-volume environment, and has experience working with teenagers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Hire, train, and oversee all dorm chaperones and student life programming.
- Coordinate student appointments in the Health & Wellness program, as well as external medical needs.
- Collaborate with and support the Director of the Academy with Career Planning programming.
- Coordinate and supervise student academic support, including study hall and ESL.
- Support Academy recruiting efforts by coordinating short-term stays for prospective students.
- Maintain a high level of targeted communication with students and their families.
- Coordinate interdepartmental requests for student participation for public relations and development events.
- Acquire necessary information for student VISA applications and complete the full application process through SEVIS for both full-year and summer programs.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3-5 years work experience supporting students
- Experience working with an arts organization is preferred
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills
- Microsoft Office skills, especially Word, Excel and Office.
- Background knowledge of dance/ ballet vocabulary preferred
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Regular – Monday- Friday 9AM-5PM with the availability to frequently work outside of normal business hours and on weekends
Houston Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.
*Only applicants that meet the required qualifications and that submit a cover letter and resume will be considered for this position.
Houston Ballet’s shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- Excellence: Employees show a passion for results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- Engaged: Employees are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. They attend our performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. They are “all in” and are well versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- Driven: Employees who are driven to take a goal and run with it. They need little prodding and they're excited to deliver results beyond the expectations of their supervisor. Employees that embrace being held accountable for their actions and work. They often deliver results superior to what was asked for and they reinvent SOPs leaving the job they're in better than they found it. Much of their work product becomes the standard for individuals who fill their role for years to come.
- Collaborative: Employees unite around Houston Ballet’s mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously, and we treat our team members, customers, and patrons with mutual respect and sensitivity, recognizing the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- Patron Centered: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.