The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-K to Grade 9 in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School’s mission is to teach, nurture, and celebrate growing boys; cultivating each boy’s individual potential and developing in balance his mind, character, heart, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For over 100 years we have been committed to the education of boys, and our facilities, curriculum, and programs are designed with the necessities of boys in mind.
The Fessenden School’s Extended Day Program (EDP) seeks a part-time Teacher to work Monday to Friday from 2:15pm to 4:30pm during the school year (11:30pm to 4:30pm on Wednesdays for Pre-K/K educators). The EDP Teacher is responsible for leading students in a safe and engaging after school experience and reports directly to the Extended Day Program Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate with other teachers to plan and deliver activities daily, EITHER:
- Diverse activities for students in grades Pre-K and Kindergarten; OR
- Focused activities for students in Grades 1-4, in areas such as art, STEM, sports and active games, imaginative play, and other fun, age-appropriate topics.
- Directly supervise and lead a group of students in these activities, ensuring emotional and physical safety for the duration of the activity.
- Participate in daily meetings at 2:15 with EDP Director and other teachers to plan, collaborate, and discuss topics around EDP program.
- Prepare for daily instruction, including setting up space, gathering materials, and communicating with the EDP Director and other teachers about any needs.
- Communicate with EDP Director and other teachers in tracking students during sign-in, activities, and dismissal.
- Model appropriate, positive behavior for students and respond appropriately to challenging student behaviors.
- Perform other duties as required.
- School Year
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 2:15 pm to 4:30 pm, Wednesday 11:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Successful criminal background check.
- Prior experience in a related position working with children.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current CPR/AED & first aid certification (certification will be provided if needed).
- Enthusiasm for working with students in grades Pre-K through 4.
- Creativity to plan engaging activities.
- Flexibility to adapt plans and lessons to meet time, material, and spatial constraints of EDP.
- Classroom management skills to lead a group of children.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and listen.
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel to get on students’ level.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Submit an application through Fessenden’s Career Site. Please include a resume and cover letter.