The City of Covington is now accepting lateral applicants for the Fire Department. You must have a minimum of two years experience as a full time firefighter to apply. Please see the qualifications listed below before applying!
Pay Scale by Years of Experience
2 years Grade I - up to $48,359
3-5 years Grade II - up to $55,798
5-7 years Grade III - up to $60,384
7+ years Grade IV - up to $67,686
Lateral hires will be placed on the seniority list at the date of hire; no other seniority privileges apply.
The description listed is intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in this position. Specifications are NOT intended to reflect all duties performed within the position.
Under general supervision, engages directly in fire fighting and fire prevention activities and the saving of lives and property; and in addition does related work as required by superiors.
- The employee’s duties require frequent exposure to a high degree of danger or peril and a high degree of physical conditioning; and
- The employee’s duties are not primarily clerical or administrative.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following tasks are typical for this position, other duties may be assigned:
- Responds to calls for apparatus during an assigned shift.
- Rides or drives apparatus to the scene of fire; connects and lays hose lines, maintains fire equipment and apparatus in good condition.
- Give first aid
- Assist in keeping the station house and furnishing clean and in good repair during assigned shift.
- Operates pumpers and other special equipment if so assigned.
- Observes fire hazards and violations of fire laws and regulations, reporting same to superiors for correction.
- Keep records and assist in the preparation of reports.
- Studies various subjects as required in the fire training program, participates in physical fitness program, shall handle supplies or be an aid to a superior.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of Fire Department property.
- Cleans and washes walls and floors.
- Makes minor repairs to property and equipment.
- Washes, hangs, and dries hose.
- Washes, cleans, polishes, and tests apparatus.
Performs related work as required.