Title: Jewish Family Engagement Specialist
Reports to: Chief Jewish Experience Officer
Department: Jewish Life
Status: Part-Time, non-benefited
Salary: $40/ hour, 15-18 hrs/ week
About the Organizations:
About the PJCC:
For more than 75 years, the Peninsula Jewish Community Center (PJCC) has worked to inspire a sense of community in San Mateo County, with over 37,000 Jewish residents. Situated between San Francisco and Palo Alto, the PJCC is among the top 10 JCCs in North America. With a 12-acre home in Foster City, the PJCC’s goal is to provide programs and services that reinforce the values and traditions the Jewish community embraces, while serving the broader community as well. The PJCC’s Mission is that: We positively impact people’s lives, fostering belonging and meaningful connections with a diverse community, grounded in Jewish values and traditions.
PJ Library Bay Area:
The PJ Library Bay Area program, the primary family engagement vehicle for the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, works to foster connections to Jewish families with young children in the Bay Area. Delivering free Jewish children's books to families raising kids from birth to age 8 with Judaism as part of their lives, PJ Library creates opportunities for families to explore and celebrate Jewish heritage while fostering vital conversations about values and traditions. PJ Library Parent Connectors curate meaningful gatherings for families with young children, acting as peer guides to local Jewish resources and organizations. From playground meetups to small chavurah family groups, Connectors facilitate connections and help families go on a Jewish Journey together.
Position Overview: Jewish Family Engagement Specialist
This role is jointly overseen by PJCC and PJ Library Bay Area, implemented through a grant from the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund. The Jewish Family Engagement Specialist integrates the PJ Library Parent Connector role into our community organization, positioning PJCC as a pivotal resource and convener for families with a Jewish connection during the early stages of their Jewish parenting journey. Leveraging PJ Library tools such as books, program concepts, and peer interactions, the Specialist establishes micro-communities, empowering North Peninsula Jewish families to forge connections with one another and the larger Jewish communal ecosystem.
As a vital member of the dynamic PJCC Jewish Life team, this role collaborates across departments and utilizes the robust community center to create a nurturing space for families to bond. Weekly tasks include up to 10 hours of personal relationship-building with families, coupled with up to 8 hours devoted to designing, facilitating, and supporting various family engagement initiatives.
- Serve as PJ Library Parent Connector for the North Peninsula region.
- Build authentic peer-to-peer relationships with families of young children (birth-age 6) and provide relevant resources.
- Create and maintain meaningful relationships with unconnected and under-connected Jewish families, and connect them to appropriate Jewish organizations.
- Facilitate 1:1 meet-ups with new families weekly.
- Connect families to each other to create small-group cohorts.
- Encourage participation in family programs and Jewish educational programs.
- Learn about local activity offerings and foster partnerships with leaders in the Jewish community.
- Enroll 2-3 new families in PJ Library monthly.
- Engage in social media promotion of PJ Library Bay Area events and peer connections.
- Track and report connections made with Jewish families.
- Attend professional development trainings quarterly with PJ Parent Connector team.
- Represent PJCC at select holiday activities.
- Lead activities for families, including play groups, both onsite and offsite of PJCC.
- Serve as PJCC representative and contribute to PJCC's Jewish education team and holiday events.
- Partner with marketing department to expand our outreach strategies.
- Undertake additional responsibilities as determined by Chief Jewish Experience Officer.