About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC embraces and welcomes the diversity of our community and encourages everyone to seek meaning and fulfillment by participating in our rich programming inspired by our Jewish heritage. We open our doors to everyone, including people of all backgrounds, religions, abilities and sexual orientations, and interfaith couples and families.
Our core values are:
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) – We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) – We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) – We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) – We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B’yachad) – We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v’HaGuf) – We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) – We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
The Early Childhood Center Assistant Director for Community and Culture (ADCC) has the educational qualifications, knowledge, and professional commitment necessary to support all aspects of the early childhood center; with primary responsibilities focused on working with all educators and family members. The ADCC is responsible for collaboration with ECC staff, JCC staff, and the ECPC (parent committee) to support community building and engagement, education, and integration of the early childhood community within the larger JCC. The ADCC will be a collaborative member of the senior leadership team of the ECC and a collaborative partner with larger JCC stakeholders, helping to develop and ensure values-based policies, structures and operations in the ECC and JCC.
The Bender Early Childhood Center is one of our core programs, and the Assistant Director is central to the functioning of the school. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our early childhood staff and community.
- Understand emergent and developmentally appropriate curriculum for the 0–5 year age group, and remain up to date on best practice.
- Assist with day-to-day management of the ECC and serve as director-in-charge when the Director is unavailable.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all ECC staff, provide on-going staff morale support, and build a culture of staff celebration, including birthday and holiday celebration, staff recognition, etc.
- Create and implement robust staff engagement throughout the year, including with life-cycle and holiday opportunities, also coordinating with the JCC community building “M&M” team.
- Create and send daily weekly emails to educators from administrative team, with important details for the next day, week, and as appropriate, month ahead.
- Monitor the ECC Facebook page and other social media, and post photos regularly in coordination with the JCC marketing team.
- Serve as liaison to the ECPC, providing technical assistance for ECPC programs, developing unique and innovative family engagement opportunities, and connecting families to the JCC and to one another.
- Interface with other JCC departments to ensure ongoing communication, collaboration, and seamless transition of family members through their JCC journey.
- Work closely with HR to coordinate and implement policies and procedures that support ECC staff recruitment and retention goals.
- Assist the director in program coordination and design, as well as administrative tasks to support annual registration and ongoing program development.
- Advocate for the rights and needs of the children in meetings and conversations with internal and outside groups and elected officials.
- In collaboration with the ECC administration, plan and execute ECC programs, including Staff Week, Back to School Night, Professional Days, etc.
- Knowledge of all safety procedures and the ability to respond to any situation in a calm and deliberate manner.
- Assist in the supervision of staff members, including regular support and reflection around opportunities and challenges, and assisting in writing yearly reviews.
- Serve as liaison to the Parenting Center and support their on- and off-site programs.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.