Title: Commercial Loan Officer II Employment Status: Full Time
Department: Commercial Lending Location: As Assigned
Reports To: SVP Senior Commercial Lending Officer
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the SVP Commercial Lending / Business Development, the Commercial Lender will be responsible for achieving the desired commercial loan origination goals and deposit growth objectives as defined in the Bank’s Business Plan. Responsibilities include the sourcing and development of prospects and potential clients consistent with the Business Plan and securing business banking service and product sales. Responsibilities may also include the effective management of an existing portfolio of commercial loans/clients providing superior service, resulting in additional borrowings and referrals Participating in business events and networking opportunities. Effectively working with key representatives from all areas of the company to send and accept referrals through joint Business Calls and Networking. Troubleshooting problems or issues with Branch Manager and/or clients as needed. This position works to ensure an efficient loan application, structuring, underwriting and loan closing as well as a user-friendly deposit account opening and servicing process while complying with all relevant regulatory requirements. Create and maintain close relationships with all parties involved in commercial transactions and help facilitate sales through the thoughtful structuring of loan products to best meet customer needs while not losing sight of credit quality and profitability.
All employees of Main Street Bank adhere to and embrace the ideas, standards, culture, and processes of The Emmerich Group. The Commercial sales process, known as Profit Rich Sales, must be followed in all commercial sales interactions. This position also coaches other employees to maximize their contribution to the Bank’s goals via the Emmerich system. Training and practice will be provided.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general the duties and responsibilities of this classification and are not to be interpreted as being all inclusive, other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Represents the financial institution to the community through excellent customer relations.
- Represents the financial institution in public relations activities, Community Board memberships and other community affairs as needed, participating in activities for generating new business.
- Helps to attain internal performance objectives for branch office business volume, deposits, loan portfolios and quality of audit reports.
- Prepares lending activity and Sales Funnel reports to be submitted to SVP Senior Commercial Lending Officer and other internal reporting structures.
- Interviews applicants for commercial loans.
- Analyzes and screens loan requests for all types of loans, presenting requests to management when the proposed loan is beyond departmental lending authority.
- Packages loans and recommends loan terms and conditions to Senior Management and Loan Committee
- Manages portfolio of complex commercial loans. Counsels loan customers on loan management and beneficial financial strategies.
- Supervises collection efforts on past due loans in Lender’s portfolio, may include collection of charge offs, foreclosures, repossessions, and disposal of assets.
- Seeks referrals from existing customers.
- Directs and implements business development activities, such as calls on prospects, joint calls with branch staff and attendance at special events.
- Handles customer problems and complaints, counsels customers with special needs or requests promptly and without delay.
- Regular travel to company and/or client locations.
- Act as an advisor to less seasoned lenders
- Represent the Bank as a leader in the community
- In the performance of respective tasks and duties, the employee is expected to maintain knowledge of and ensure compliance with Bank Secrecy Act regulations and adheres to compliance procedures and internal/operational risk controls in accordance with any and all applicable regulatory standards, requirements and policies as well as attending all required training sessions and completing all required on-line training courses. Follows all applicable laws and regulations.
- The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and act as a role model in the adherence to policies
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes in order to ensure compliance in the areas of job responsibilities, and recommend improvements or changes as needed for compliance and/or for department efficiency
- Regular and consistent attendance is required in order to continue the high standard of customer service as well as occasionally participating in before/after hours and/or weekend community events.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of Bank’s loan products and processing procedures for all Bank loan products, thereby assisting with the Bank’s overall growth goals by successfully promoting new business.
- Provide a positive working team concept for branch and back office personnel.
- Meets or exceeds established performance standards and objectives.
- Monitors work for accuracy and quality demonstrating a passion for excellence in every aspect of work.
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY: Interacts independently with members of the business community as well as other Bank personnel to sell the banks services. Work is non-routine and complex, requiring the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Position has an impact on the revenue of the institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/ Accounting/Finance; MBA preferred, or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years Commercial Lending or related experience with an emphasis on C and I lending, SBA, CRE and construction loans
- Formal Credit training is desirable
- Solid background in financial institution operating policies and procedures, banking regulations (state and federal).
- Knowledge of Commercial Loan structure and commercial credit standards required.
- Effective use of sales techniques with a proven track record of meeting targets and closing sales
- A broad professional level of knowledge and expertise in business banking and relationship sales.
- Perform credit analysis and make sound conclusions based on lending policies and financial statement analysis mastery.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products and Sageworks (Abrigo) loan processing software.
- Solid understanding and application of and ability to operate standard office equipment
- Means and mode to travel to any of Main Street Bank’s locations, customer locations, networking and Marketing events as needed on a regular basis
- Critical Thinking
- Accurate, Attention to Detail
- Excellent Communication Skills / Effective Communicator
- Excellent Organization skills
- Sound Decision Making
- Leadership skills
- Relationship Builder - Develops and maintains relationships with officers, employees and external contacts and maintains alignment with core values, vision, strategy and goals.
- Confidentiality and Discretion
- Proficient Prioritization skills
- Creative, Resourceful
- Analytical, Sound Judgement
- Proficient Mathematical Skills
- Technology Savvy - Utilize technology/systems to improve work processes and use a range of technology to solve problems
LANGUAGE/COGNITIVE SKILLS: The person in this position frequently communicates with customers, Board of Directors, Senior/Executive Management, and other employees, about banking products, bank accounts & transactions, therefore must be able to exchange accurate information in these cases. They will need to, use judgment and discretion in decision making situations, interpret and follow all Bank policies and procedures, write/create reports, and business correspondence, (Main Street Bank’s standard language is English). As well as the ability to:
- Speak and effectively present/communicate information and respond to questions from customers, groups of managers, vendors, Board of Directors, and other employees.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Read, analyze, and interpret a variety documents such as financial statements, legal documents and Bank policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT: The physical and work environment demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, (i.e. files/ file boxes)
- Frequently required to remain in a stationary position, 50% of the time
Mental & Visual Demands
- Consistently operate a computer for extended periods of time
- Specific vision abilities may be required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Regular use of office productivity machinery (i.e. a calculator, copy machine, fax machine, computer printer).
Work Environment and Hazards
- Regularly move throughout the inside the Bank to access resources and individuals
- Regular local travel for bank purposes and/or on behalf of the bank (i.e. business calls, networking, community/marketing events).
- The employee must be able to work schedules that meet the needs of the bank, which may include early morning, evening and/or weekend hours.
- It is a general office environment where the noise level is moderate
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: Main Street Bank complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means that we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment.