Responsible for assisting with planning, organizing, directing, executing and evaluating all aspects of the pharmacy services for the hospital. Interprets and processes physicians orders, verifies drug information, focuses on continuous quality improvement activities, participates in discharge planning and performs non-distributive services, such as drug-level monitoring, that are established by policy. In the absence of the Director of Pharmacy, supervises pharmacy personnel to ensure an efficient workflow in a positive work environment.
- Flexible schedule to cover all shifts and weekend activities with on-call participation.
- Exercises appropriate clinical judgment in reviewing and evaluating patients drug therapy. Collaborates with medical and nursing staff to provide quality patient care.
- Reviews, compounds and accurately dispenses pharmaceuticals and IV admixtures from a direct copy of the physicians original medication order.
- Prepares, maintains, updates and monitors each patients medication profile as required. Charges and credits medication to patients.
- Checks the work of supportive personnel and other pharmacy personnel for accuracy, proper labeling and adherence to pharmacy policy and procedure.
- Dispenses and maintains appropriate records for all controlled substance medications and other medications in conformance with federal and state laws.
- Oversees medication supplies, storage and utilization on assigned nursing units.
- Assists in teaching, training and supervising pharmacy interns and technicians.
- Addresses and resolves problems in a professional and ethical manner.
- Assists the medical and nursing staff on all problems pertaining to medication orders or pharmacy policy and procedures. Promotes a positive and cooperative attitude in dealing with nurses, medical and other personnel and with the public.
- Maintains professional knowledge by attending continuing education programs, by reading professional and technical journals and by participating in pharmacy-conducted in-service lectures.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly department.