The Adventure Guide is responsible for delivering physically and emotionally engaging adventure tours on our aerial adventure courses while demonstrating excellent customer service by acting with a “guest comes first” attitude. Guides connect and respond to the needs of guests while following all operational policies and procedures to minimize risk and ensure quality program delivery in a manner consistent with MHA’s mission, vision and values.
The Adventure Guide is a Ministerial position. Ministerial staff render their work, stewardship, relationships and behavior as evidence of being followers of Jesus Christ while embracing and affirming Mount Hermon Association, Inc.’s (“MHA”) Christian mission, vision, beliefs, culture code and standards of conduct. They are responsible for defining, cultivating and leading MHA’s Christian community, conference programs and retreats. All staff are expected to join gatherings which include prayer, worship, and Bible-centered teaching.
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Co-lead adventure tours on our aerial adventure courses (Sequoia, Discovery Grove, Zayante). Other activities may include, but are not limited to indoor and outdoor climbing walls, and fieldhouse (gymnasium) supervision.
- Properly fit, train, and monitor guests in the use of all personal protective equipment.
- Provide for an emotionally, physically, and spiritually safe environment with both guests and staff.
- Assist with daily opening and closing of the program and support areas.
- Conduct visual and tactile inspections of all hardware and equipment being used.
- Effectively lead guest activities to ensure an engaging, informative and inspiring experience.
- Meet curriculum delivery guidelines specific to the program and needs of the client.
- Report and log any safety concerns or incidents/accidents.
- Attend in-service rescue refresher trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED; (must be at least age 18). Some college education and/or equivalent professional experience desired.
- Attend relevant adventure and recreation training and pass both practical and written testing.
- Requires current First Aid/CPR/AED certifications.
- Previous experience in a customer service role preferred.
- Previous experience in ropes/challenge course or outdoor recreation activities preferred.
- Previous experience delivering curriculum or content to diverse populations preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience and a desire to work within a positive team setting with diverse people.
- Absolute attention to detail and safety.
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep activities operating to standards and set a positive example for the guests and the team.
- Strong desire to help participants grow and learn from a variety of experiential challenges.
- Must have good interpersonal and verbal communication skills and be sensitive, adaptable, professional, and articulate when dealing with guests and coworkers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of the job:
- The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
- Requires sitting, standing, squatting, stooping, twisting, and the ability to lift/carry 40+ lbs.
- Requires the ability to work in a physically strenuous environment.
- Must be comfortable at heights exceeding 80 feet.
- After training, employee must be able to rescue a 250 lb. person at heights using a variety of rescue techniques.
- Must be available to work weekends.
- May be requested to work overtime for special program events.
- Adherence to the basic principles as expressed in MHA’s Mission, Vision, Values and Commitment statements.
- Adherence to company dress code and professional standards for personal grooming and appearance.
- Satisfactory completion of background investigation as well as ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Part-time position; wage range $16.50-$20.00/hour.