The Parenting Specialist assesses clients' parenting needs and provides supportive educational and hands-on parenting coaching services/interventions throughout the continuum of care. Carries a caseload of families, provides both individual and group services.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Provide individual parenting services to assigned clients; complete parenting needs assessment and treatment plans; provide home visits as appropriate
- Observe and assess in-home family functioning and parenting skills.
- Suggest changes in the interaction between parent and child based on in-home observations
- Assist families in establishing a safe home environment for infants and children
- Educate families in parenting skills to increase positive parenting outcomes
- Provide families with an understanding of infant and child development
- Assist families in developing appropriate discipline for their children
- Facilitate Nurturing Program and Parent Education groups
- Be responsible for all related paperwork, record keeping and compliance with all regulations and licensing
- Work in collaboration with clinical teams to develop contacts and relationships with schools, child welfare, daycare, community resources and others when necessary
- Follow guidelines as related to the mandated reporting of child abuse/neglect
- Formulate service plans to meet parenting needs of the mother-child relationship
- Participate in the Celebrating Families team; provide group facilitation following Celebrating Families curriculum; attend all planning meetings
- Provide outreach services to the extended family members of residents
- Attend Wraparound meetings (RPOC); coordinate therapeutic services with community agencies, such as Child Protective Services, schools, physicians, etc.
- Attend residential and/or OP Staff Meetings weekly. Attend Child and Family meetings weekly
- Communicate regularly with the Clinical, Child and Family, Housing, and RSS staff as assigned
Marginal Functions of the Job
- Participate in agency wide policy/procedure or service committees as assigned
- Participate in community resource meetings as assigned
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor