We believe our biggest asset is our combination of different backgrounds, cultures, and disciplines that come together to form one high-performing team. What we do starts with our people. As part of the worlds largest voluntary health organization for neuromuscular diseases, MDA is leading the way in improving quality of life for those living with neuromuscular disease.
The Manager, Public Policy and Advocacy will report to the Vice President, Public Policy and Advocacy. This individual will have experience working on national level public policy and advocacy efforts focused on one or more of the following; increasing access to health care, accelerating development of new treatments, and/or disability and accessibility policy. The Manager will be able to assist efforts on conceiving, enacting, and supporting the implementation of public policy proposals that benefit the neuromuscular disease community. This individual will work with colleagues across MDAs departments to ensure that efforts to serve the community align with the organizations advocacy priorities. The Manager may chiefly focus on policies pertaining to a policy area of focus (access to care, therapeutic development, or disability and accessibility) and report to the Director responsible for this area, and will be required to collaborate with coalition and policymaking partners, and other stakeholders to promote MDAs public policy and advocacy work.
Location: This position reports into Washington D.C. area.
- Assist in the development and execution of public policies focused on access to care, therapeutic development, and/or disability policy with Public Policy and Advocacy Department leadership and colleagues.
- Assist in content development of all outgoing advocacy communications pertaining to public policy area of focus and collaborate closely with Advocacy Engagement staff members and MDAs internal communications department.
- Help develop innovative public policy interventions for the entire neuromuscular disease community.
- Analyze proposed public policies and evaluate the potential effect they may have on the neuromuscular disease community.
- Proactively evaluate how existing and proposed policies of interest can better address structural racial and socioeconomic inequities within the neuromuscular disease community.
- Collaborate with Advocacy Engagement staff to ensure all MDA website and social media materials are current and well-presented.
- Support the lobbying of Congress in support of, or opposition to, legislation that will impact the neuromuscular disease community.
- Collaborate with Advocacy team on yearly events, including Lobby Days.
- Contribute to the tracking, evaluation, and preparation of regular reports around policy and advocacy areas in which MDA is engaged or monitoring to MDA staff and partners as required.
- Participate in relevant coalitions pertaining to public policy areas of interest
- Work closely with MDAs research, communications, marketing, care center, and other departments on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in MDA training, educational activities, and events.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Detail minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
- Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment, including prioritization and time management skills. Able to provide support to multiple team members simultaneously.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.