This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a physician/mid-level provider, registered nurse and/or licensed practical nurse. Assumes, under the direction of such, responsibility for patient arterial and venous sheath removal, urinary catheter insertion and removal, ABIs, peripheral IV insertion and removal, routine and venous specimen collection, 12 lead EKG, safe use of bladder scanner, defibrillator, vein finder, Doppler, and EKG machine, as well as other clerical duties to assist in the smooth operation of the department.
- Actively participates in the admission process including, but not limited to collecting the patient history, allergies and home medication list.
- Actively participates in the transition of care process including, but not limited to, assisting patient/family with preparations for discharge and wheelchair transportation to private or commercial vehicle.
- Provides competent direct care and providing for a safe and comforting environment resulting in a positive patient/family experience.
- Maintains competency for use of clinical patient care equipment.
- Documents and reports abnormal observations to the RN in a timely manner.
- Assists in the maintenance of skin integrity with the use of emollients, creams, etc. Cares for superficial skin tears under the direction of the RN.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Carries out medical orders such as administration of medications and treatments, within hospital policy and within patient population-specific parameters.
- Provides BLS in response to emergency situations. Provides ACLS under the direction of the RN and provider in emergency situations.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Adheres to hospital policy and procedures.