Senior Tax Operations Manager
Bennett Thrasher is currently seeking a Senior Tax Operations Manager to join our Tax Line of Service Operations team.
The Senior Tax Operations Manager will support our Tax Line of Service in being more agile through both strategy and execution for managing the operations and people side of our business. You’ll focus on establishing a consistent reporting approach to managing the operations of the Tax service line, ensuring that resources of suitable skills and caliber are available for tasks and activities as required, as well as managing the training, planning, and skills enhancement associated with resources. You’ll work directly with client service Associates and Partners as well as collaborating with HR, Recruiting, Learning and Development and Finance. As a team, we maximize resource sharing and enable the delivery of BT to our clients through cross-team staffing, forecasting, utilization review, and workload balance with a lens on equity and development.
- Support the Tax Service Line Leader in managing the operations of the business
- Oversee tax practice management office and individuals within that team (i.e., scanning, tax return processing, scheduling, etc.)
- Establish operational excellence standards supported by data analytics
- Use data-driven decision-making
- Develop and implement onboarding and staffing strategies to deploy resources to engagements in a manner that aligns skills with engagement demands to optimize productivity while maintaining a reasonable workload; staff resources in alignment with their career interests to foster skill development, resolve complex conflicts and find solutions for open positions through strategic decisions and escalate issues as necessary
- Supervise, coach and develop an Operations team of 5 individuals by providing guidance, training and coaching, and various additional people management responsibilities
- Provide accurate and timely report analysis on a weekly and monthly basis as related to projected/actual hours, utilization and headcount at both an organizational level and detailed level for Associates; monitor over and under-utilized individuals and develop actions to balance workloads; may assist Finance Director and/or Controller and Recruiting with financial and/or workforce management processes and resource forecasting processes
- Understand and monitor training and credential requirements of Associates and implement actions to meet those requirements as necessary.
- Manage practice-wide strategic initiatives and projects in support of resource management strategy; maintain an awareness of the business and regulatory environment and related priorities and impact on resourcing needs.
- Uphold the firm's code of ethics and business conduct
- Oversee the tax department’s project management and scheduling software; responsible for ensuring all client deliverables are tracked and delivered by prescribed statutory deadlines
- Identify opportunities to streamline and/or automate tax department processes and procedures
- Uphold firm risk management policies and procedures and work with tax Partner that oversees risk management for the tax department to review and update policies and procedures
- Manage tax department document templates and update annually as needed with the assistance of client service staff
Demonstrates thorough abilities and/or a proven record of success as a self-starter, including, but not limited to the following areas:
- Minimum five years professional services or corporate experience in a project-oriented role; CPA firm and audit/tax department experience preferred; Resource Management experience also preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field/equivalent experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (including pivot tables, v-lookups and complex formulas) with capability to manipulate data using various reports and ability to articulate educated perspectives effectively
- Ability to develop and foster strong relationships and team with various levels within and outside an organization; strong verbal/written communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Ability to effectively lead meetings
- Demonstrated critical and strategic thinking, problem-solving, decision-making, analytical and diagnostic skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
Bennett Thrasher is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex; pregnancy; sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability; genetic information, citizenship status; military service obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. #LIHybrid