Job Title: Summer Marine Science Instructor
Location: Catalina Island CampCIMI
Department: Summer Camp
Work Year: Seasonal (Summer Estimated Late May through Mid August)
(These are estimated dates that could change do to COVID-19 guidelines and the State of California/LA County)
Reports To: Jeff Chace or Heather Peterson
FLSA Status: Salary Position
Revision Date: February 15, 2021
The summer instructors at CIMI are responsible for providing support to summer camp programs for children who are age 8-17. Support primarily includes instruction of camp activities including archery, high ropes, kayaking, snorkeling and tubing but includes secondary duties as assigned. All activities are conducted according to CIMI and ACA approved protocols to ensure the delivery of a high quality program. The summer instructors have the responsibility to provide quality instruction and leadership during a range of summer camp activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ensure all programs are conducted in accordance with the policies set by CIMI, emphasizing safety.
- Development of necessary educational and instructional background to ensure quality of the program.
- Teach campers in marine labs as well as taking them kayaking and snorkeling according to all safety guidelines.
- Assume duties of Dive Locker Coordinator when assigned.
- Participate in training week scheduled and instructed by the Program Director.
- Drive program boats when assigned for mail runs and town runs.
- Greet incoming groups to facility.
- Work evening duties as required to meet the group’s needs.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in student activities.
- Other duties assigned by the Program Director.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to communicate and work with the cabin groups by instructing
- in hikes, water activities, at archery, and on the high ropes elements.
- Ability to snorkel 1/2 mile in the ocean, leading 15 campers for up to 2 hours.
- Hike up to 2 miles along dirt trails including steep inclines.
- Lift kayaks and carry to water with campers.
- Drive chase boat during kayaking once trained and cleared.
- Greet incoming groups at pier and help move luggage.
- Lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 lbs. when necessary.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations by providing the leadership necessary to enact the Emergency Procedure Plan.
- Ability to observe student and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment, and that employment with this Company is at-will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties and location of work. Will be signing an electronic copy upon on-boarding.
- Full meals at the CIMI Dining Hall when kitchen is in operation.
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance
- Opportunity to check out boats and gear in accordance with company policy.
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain and ocean environment.