Job Title: Sailing Instructor
Location: Catalina Island CampCIMI
Department: Sumer Camp
Work Year: Seasonal (Summer Estimated May Start) Will be set closer to start date. (These are estimated dates that could change do to COVID-19 guidelines and the State of California/LA County).
Reports To: Jeff Chace
FLSA Status: Salary Position
Revision Date: February 15, 2021
The CIMI Sail Instructor at Toyon Bay is responsible for providing quality instruction and leadership in the sailing program at CIMI. This entails providing the proper curriculum, insuring all programs are conducted in accordance with set policies, and the development of educational and instructional programs to ensure the high standards of the program.
The Sailing Instructors at CIMI-Toyon Bay have the responsibility to provide quality instruction and leadership in the youth sailing and summer camp program at CIMI.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ensure all programs are conducted in accordance with the policies set by CIMI, emphasizing safety.
- Development of necessary skills to ensure quality of the program.
- Assume duties of Beach Master, Lifeguard, Sailing Instructor and Boat Maintenance when assigned.
- Attend and participate in all leadership and instruction sessions scheduled by the Sail Director, Program Director or Executive Director.
- Drive safety boat when assigned.
- Drive program boats when assigned.
- Drive program vehicles when assigned.
- Greet incoming groups at the pier and load luggage.
- Assume role of sailing instructor, lifeguard and program coordinator for groups when assigned.
- Work evening programs as required to meet camp needs.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in camper activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Sailing Director.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to communicate and work with the camper groups by teaching all aspects of sailing including proper sailing techniques and proper safe boating practices.
- Ability to paddle a large outrigger canoe with up to 10 kids for an hour in varying weather conditions.
- Have the knowledge to teach sailing on many different types of vessels such as Lasers, 420’s and catamarans.
- Have the knowledge to be self sufficient while teaching students on a sailing vessel without auxiliary power up to 2 miles off shore for multiple hours.
- Must be physically fit in order to perform strenuous activity for extended periods.
- Ability to pull boats weighing up to 450 pounds in and out of the water and across soft sand with the help of another instructor.
- Ability to drive a boat in order to drive chase boats during sailing classes.
- Greet incoming groups at pier and load and unload luggage.
- Ability to perform simple boat maintenance projects and demonstrate the proper use of tools
- Lift, carry and move heavy objects when necessary.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations by providing the leadership necessary to enact the Emergency Action Plan.
- Abilities to observe student and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior.
- Understanding of the Hazard Communication Plan and MSDS forms as well as other GD Safety Programs including but not limited to Lock out/Tag Out, Confined Spaces, Respirators and Blood borne Pathogens.
- Ability to drive vehicles.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment, and that employment with this Company is at-will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties and location of work. Will be signing an electronic copy upon on-boarding.
- Full meals at the CIMI Dining Hall when kitchen is in operation
- Opportunity to sail great boats in a great sailing environment
- Guest visitation privileges to the company facilities with prior permission
- Opportunity to check out powerboats and diving gear in accordance with company policy
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain and ocean environment