Team Leader (Summer/Seasonal)
About Graham Windham
In full partnership with families & communities, Graham Windham strives to make a life-altering difference to children, youth and families affected by abuse, neglect and delinquency by providing each child we serve with a strong foundation for life: a safe, loving, permanent family and the opportunity and preparation to thrive in school and in the world. With over 500 full-time, part-time and On-call employees serving children and families in multiple programs throughout Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, Graham Windham provides an exciting & enriching work experience.
Why you should join our team
We offer an exciting opportunity for caring individuals looking to impact the lives of youth people. We offer a competitive hourly rate, ongoing professional development and a vibrant work environment at one of the leading child and family organizations in New York City. Here are some of our accolades:
- Harvard Business School New York City Community Partner Award Winner for excellent leadership and management (2019)
- Kym Watson, President and CEO inducted into the New York State Women in Human Services Hall of Fame (2019)
- Ranked among top New York City child welfare agencies by the NYC Administration for Children’s Services for helping children find permanent homes (2016-2018)
About the Program
Beacon programs are school-based community centers serving children age six and older, and adults. There are currently 91 Beacons located throughout the five boroughs of New York City operating in the afternoons and evenings, on weekends, and during school holidays and vacation periods, including the summer. Beacons provide Our goal is to give each participant, regardless of age, a positive and fun learning experience in a safe, friendly environment. Team Leaders will support the Instructor with a class of students that are assigned by grade level. Classes take during the summer months.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Instructor in leading lesson plans in a variety of areas including sports/recreation, arts, dance and STEM
- Organizing team games such as soccer, softball, and basketball, explaining the rules and acting as referee or umpire throughout the game
- Leading activities such as crafts and art, demonstrating various techniques and encouraging children to come up with ideas
- Create a safe, bully-free environment for all participants.
- Maintain accurate student attendance reports.
- Complete other administrative tasks as required.
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and professional development trainings
- Ensure that the learning environment is clean, safe and materials are prepared.
- Use positive classroom management techniques.
Core Competencies: Excellent Interpersonal & Conflict Resolution skills; Positive Attitude & Professional Demeanor. Must possess quality communication skills that reflect active listening. Ability to empathize with participants and plan appropriate interventions with staff and supervisor is paramount