Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspiring a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography, and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, we recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, dancers, musicians, production crew, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work, and serve. Join us, and you’ll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
The Resident Dorm Supervisor / Residence Life Supervisor serves as a bridge for students’ independent living, providing a safe, clean and resourceful environment for Houston Ballet students. This is a full-time, live-in benefits-eligible position that supervises the students who live in the Houston Ballet Center for Dance dorms.
- Resident Dorm Supervisor should be aged 25+ in order to be insured on the Houston Ballet Academy van that they are required to drive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee all equipment, furniture, support services, and cleaning. Keep the Associate Director, Facilities and Student Life Manager apprised of any repairs and needed maintenance on an ongoing basis.
- Organize and inventory kitchen supplies and appliances once per semester and alert Associate Director, Facilities, and Student Life Manager when new items need to be purchased.
- Conduct weekly inspections of bedrooms and common areas and supervise student chores and duties.
- Coordinate with Associate Director, Facilities, and directly with the cleaning crew on cleaning needs.
- Manage opening and closing of dorm each school year with Associate Director, Facilities, including coordinating cleaning staff for deep cleans when the dorm is closed.
- Coordinate with the Associate Director, Facilities on dorm codes and badges for residential and visiting students to ensure building security.
- Maintain Dorm Supervisor apartment and Part-Time Dorm Chaperone room.
- Attend bi-weekly meetings with Student Life Manager and Associate Director, Facilities on dorm maintenance and needs.
- Provide weekly updates to Academy Administrative Staff on all new, returning and short-term residents (visiting) students in the dorm.
- Prepare the CFD dorm handbook with Student Life Manager
- Attend weekly Academy Administrative Team meetings to stay abreast of all Academy activities in support of residential students.
- Update Dorm Supervisor SOPs including emergency procedures once per semester.
- Maintain emergency supplies.
- Oversee a check-in/check-out procedure for students and families as they arrive or depart with dorm students.
- Transport students for essential needs (food and other supplies, doctor's appointments, airport, etc.) when necessary.
- Provide an orientation for new, returning, and visiting students.
- Supervise a minimum of three meals per week while teaching and assisting students in planning meals, cooking, and shopping.
- Mentor students ages 14-16, educating them in how to live independently including, but not limited to; grocery shopping, cooking healthy meals, and maintaining a positive community environment with their peers. Provide outside resources when appropriate.
- Keep strong relationships ongoing by conducting one group meeting per week and individual student meetings every two weeks.
- Perform nightly room checks.
- Communicate regularly with students’ parents/guardians.
- Design and implement a residential life evaluation each semester.
- Work with summer chaperones during the summer intensive program.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Strong understanding and desire to work with adolescent children and help them become independent.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Driver license with an impeccable driving record
- Ability to provide supervision in a responsible, caring and respectful manner and serve as a role model.
- Experience working with adolescent children.
- CPR-certified by dorm move-in.
- Associates degrees or certification in counseling, humanities, or performing arts.
- 2-5 years of experience working with adolescents in a school setting (performing arts preferred).
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience.
- Having Resident Assistance responsibilities in a residence home (college dorm preferred)
- Experience in facilities management is a plus.
- CPR and First Aid certification (paid for by Houston Ballet); must have a valid driver’s license, access to a car (preferred), and ability to certify compliance with HB’s Vehicle Driver Policy, including minimum personal insurance requirements.
- Must be available to sleep in the residence
- Busy times are in the morning before students begin class at 9 am and then from 4:30 pm onwards once students have left class
- Resident Dorm Supervisor will need to be in residence most evenings, however, there are 2 days off per week at which time the Part-Time Resident Dorm Supervisor will be working. Days off can be flexible but should be consistent.
- Resident Dorm Supervisor should be aged 25+ to be insured on the Houston Ballet Academy van that they are required to drive.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Monday –Sunday, 24 hour flex shift. May require 7 working days a week. May require working on holidays. Time off is given.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access Statement:
Houston Ballet Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Houston Ballet embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work, and serve. Inclusion, diversity, equity, and access are instrumental in the fulfillment of our mission and values. We address the challenges of our future in a culture that honors what is unique in all of us. Join us, together we are Houston Ballet.
Houston Ballet’s shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- EXCELLENCE: We are passionate about results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- ENGAGED: We are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. We attend performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. We are “all in” and well-versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- DRIVEN: We are driven to take goals and run with them. We are excited to deliver results beyond expectations. We are accountable for our actions and work. We reinvent Standard Operations Procedures, leaving our jobs better than we found them. Much of our work product becomes the standard for individuals who will fill our roles in the years to come.
- COLLABORATIVE: We unite around Houston Ballet’s mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously and treat our team members, customers, and patrons with respect and sensitivity. We embrace inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- PATRON-CENTERED: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.