Title: Personal Banker I Employment Status: Part Time
Department: Groton Branch Location: Groton, MA
Reports To: Assistant Branch Manager/Manager
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday 7:45am-4:30pm; Friday 7:45am-6:30pm and Saturday 7:45am-12:30pm
SUMMARY: As a member of the Retail Branch team and reporting directly to the Assistant Manager / Branch Manager, the Personal Banker I is Main Street Bank’s entry level Personal Banker. The Personal Banker I, is responsible for handling all types of customer service transactions including teller line transactions. The Personal Banker I,is also responsible for directing customers to other departments when conducting non-deposit transactions. The Personal Banker I, may assist with branch/retail projects that affect the department and the bank as a whole. This position is also expected to embrace the established sales and service culture to maximize their contribution to the Bank’s goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general the duties and responsibilities of this classification and are not to be interpreted as being all inclusive, other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Answers customer questions in person, via telephone or mail and provides information on bank products and services.
- Opens all types of deposit accounts, determining needed documentation; follows up to ensure that it is received and properly filed
- Cross sells bank products, recommending appropriate products and services to fill customer needs Analyzes basic customer inquiries and complaints and refers problem situations to the appropriate officials as necessary.
- Answers telephone inquiries and questions regarding activity, balances, etc.
- Opens and organizes teller workstation maintaining adequate cash, forms, and supply inventories for the day’s activities.
- Process wide variety of customer transactions, such as deposits, withdrawals, dispersing cash, loan and mortgage payments. Processing and disbursing checks, money orders, and account transfers.
- Provide a variety of customer service, including but not limited to: Change of address forms, repining debit cards, putting notes on customer debit cards, assisting customers with renewals of Certificates of Deposit etc.
- Maintain accurate records of daily activities and initiate proper balancing procedures at the end of each work shift, reporting any discrepancies to the supervisor as necessary.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of Bank policies, products, and services.
- Continually updates knowledge of bank products through seminars and courses.
- Maintains and balances at the end of the day.
- Operates within defined bank security procedures as to cash levels, check cashing and processing of transactions.
- Works a Customer Service desk, a lobby window or the drive-up as assigned.
- Maintains work area for efficient services and cleanliness
- Assists with random monthly cash drawer audits and alarm testing in accordance with the Branch Manager monthly report.
- Handles customer problems and complaints in a professional and timely manner and coordinates appropriate follow-up.
- Directs consumer loan requests, maintaining a basic knowledge of the Bank’s consumer loan products, to appropriate branch personnel.
- Regular and consistent attendance is required in order to continue the high standard of customer service as well as occasionally participating in before/after hours and/or weekend community events.
- In the performance of respective tasks and duties, the employee is expected to maintain knowledge of and ensure compliance with Bank Secrecy Act regulations and adheres to compliance procedures and internal/operational risk controls in accordance with any and all applicable regulatory standards, requirements and policies as well as attending all required training sessions and completing all required on-line training courses.
- The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and act as a role model in the adherence to policies.
- Occasionally travel locally for bank purposes and/or on behalf of the bank (i.e. Staff meetings, training, business calls, networking, community/marketing events).
- Employee will periodically throughout the year be required to participate in community events that may be outside of normal business hours.
- Other duties as assigned
- Shares responsibility for achieving branch goals.
- Participates in Branch activities that generate new business such as promoting branch sales culture and special promotional events.
- Occasionally represents the financial institution in before/after hours and/or weekend networking and community service events.
- Consistently exceeds customer service expectations by offering excellent service, including greeting customers, smiling, using their name and building rapport with customers designed to generate customer loyalty.
- Maintains a solid knowledge of Bank’s deposit and loan products as well as additional services offered.
- Provides counsel to existing and potential customers regarding product and/or service selection.
- Evaluates customer problems and complaints and resolves them to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Assists customers with account opening and maintenance as well as all teller line transactions.
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Interacts independently with members of the community to conduct banking needs; complete transactions and resolves customer issues as needed.
- Work is non-routine and relies on prior directly related experience and specific bank policies, and sales programs.
- Work is supervised.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- High School diploma or equivalent, banking courses and/or related work experience
- One to two years’ experience in a financial institution
- Basic product knowledge
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products
- Means and mode to travel to any of Main Street Bank’s locations as needed on an occasional basis.
- Solid understanding and application of administration activities and ability to operate standard office equipment
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Accurate attention to detail
- Sound Judgement
- Confidentiality, Discretion
- Excellent Organizational Skills
- Proficient Prioritization skills
- Good mathematical problem solving
- Creative and Resourceful
- Relationship Builder - Develops and maintains relationships with officers, employees and external contacts and maintains alignment with core values, vision, strategy and goals.
- Computer Technology Savvy - Utilize technology/systems to improve work processes and use a range of technology to solve problems
LANGUAGE/COGNITIVE SKILLS: The work skills described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The person in this position frequently communicates with customers, about banking products, their bank accounts & transactions and therefore must be able to exchange accurate information in these cases. They will need to, use judgment and discretion in decision making situations, interpret and follow all Bank policies and procedures, write/create reports and business correspondence, (Main Street Bank’s standard language is English). As well as the ability to:
- Speak and effectively present/communicate information and respond to questions from customers, groups of managers, vendors and other employees.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Read, analyze and interpret a variety documents such as checks, bank statements and Loan documents.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT: The physical and work environment demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, (i.e. cash drawer, coin)
- Frequently required to remain in a stationary position, 50% of the time
- Occasionally required to stoop and bend
Mental & Visual Demands
- Consistently operate a computer for extended periods of time
- Specific vision abilities may be required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Regular use of office productivity machinery (i.e. a calculator, copy machine, fax machine, computer printer).
Work Environment and Hazards
- Regularly move throughout the inside the Bank to access resources and individuals
- Occasional local travel for bank purposes and/or on behalf of the bank (i.e. coverage, training, networking, community events).
- The employee must be able to work schedules that meet the needs of the bank, which may include early morning, evening and/or weekend hours.
- It is a general office environment where the noise level is moderate
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: Main Street Bank complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means that we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment