Gotham Greens is seeking passionate, driven, and hardworking individual to fill a position as a Packhouse Lead at our Queens Greenhouse. The Pack House (PH) Lead is responsible for day-to-day tasks directed by their immediate supervisor. This is a hands-on role requiring an individual is a team player, one who is willing to roll up their sleeves, and isn’t afraid to get dirty.
Prior experience in the natural and organic food industry a plus but not required. This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and organized individual to assume a position at a rapidly growing, innovative, disruptive company in the 21st century food system.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist in Management of Packers- Ensure Packers are punctual and work quickly and effectively train new assistants in the proper way to do tasks, handle leaves, and proper cleaning & sanitation methods of produces
- Ensure safe work conditions and food safety are maintained at all times.
- Support Supervisor to ensure that GMPs are followed
- Support Supervisor to ensure that all PH Logs are kept up to date including but not limited to: QC Verification Log, Opening Log, Closing Log, Packhouse Log, temp logs, etc.
- Constant communication with harvesters to detect any diseases or cross-contamination and communicate to Supervisor for further actions (NUOCA log in place, etc.)
- Support in the maintenance and cleanliness of Packing House, cooler and Harvest area including all equipment.
- Communicate daily with Supervisor and provide feedback on employees performance, provide ideas to improve efficiencies and maintain pack/harvest-pace.
- Execute the harvest order according to the Supervisor’s direction including Retail and Wholesale.
- Supports pack house leaders in proper FIFO rotation and, maintains cooler cleanliness/organization and provides daily cooler inventory.
- Leads by example with a “can do” attitude
- Laser focused attention to detail
- Great multitasking abilities
- Desire to grow and learn food safety rules and regulations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for a full 8 hour shift.
- A willingness and desire to assist in unrelated and/or unassigned tasks to ensure the effective operation of the GH and PH.
- Must be a problem solver and be capable of identifying areas of efficiencies.
- Working knowledge or willingness to learn of MS applications, Outlook, Word and Excel.
The ideal candidate:
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Reliable and highly motivated with a creative flair and lively personality
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.