Benetech believes that equitable access to education is a human right. Our technology and services break down systemic barriers and empower all learners regardless of ability. Around the world, we partner with local communities to expand inclusive and equitable education opportunities. To date, we have delivered more than 20 million accessible books helping over 1.5 million students, jobseekers, and adults to read, learn, and pursue their dreams. People at Benetech believe strongly in the mission, and we work hard to embody our Truths each day.
Attracting Candidates From All Backgrounds
Our Benetech team reflects the diversity of the people we impact. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, including members of historically marginalized or oppressed communities because it makes our organization stronger.
Research shows that individuals only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. We know there are great candidates who might not check all of the boxes and possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, apply and tell us about yourself.
Benetech/Bookshare is seeking a motivated individual to join us as a part time Outreach Consultant based in Memphis, Tennessee. As part of our Bookshare Outreach team, you will work directly with Memphis-Shelby County Public Schools to increase Bookshare usage across the district. This is a relationship-focused position, requiring you to have strong interpersonal skills, a strong commitment to equity in literacy, the ability to empathize with people of varied experiences, and an appreciation for community-centered solutions. This role reports to the Regional Program Manager.
- Identify and foster relationships with key administrative personnel at Memphis-Shelby County Public Schools.
- Identify and foster relationships with community leaders and organizations who support students and schools.
- Foster relationships with parents/guardians of students served under this initiative.
- Develop and lead educational programs designed to create awareness of Bookshare for both educators and parents, as well as identify students who would benefit from utilizing Bookshare.
- Increase Bookshare utilization within Shelby County and the surrounding communities.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Currently live in Shelby County, TN
- Experience facilitating small groups, trainings, or seminars
- Prior teaching experience and/or experience working in a K-12 school district
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle and prioritize simultaneous requests
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Mission-driven with an interest in the Memphis community
- Previous experience working within Memphis-Shelby County School District
- Experience supporting students or individuals with disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, or communication
May be required to travel in-person to schools, organizations, and events within the Shelby County area.
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
The bullet points below are representative of the physical demands and working environment that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Standard / Remote office setting; proximity to office equipment that includes electronic devices.
- Must remain at a workstation for at least 50% of the time; will need to use equipment that includes electronic devices.
- Perceive and interact with text, media, and people.
- Communicate and accurately exchange information with text, media, and people.