The primary purpose of this position is to perform the day-to-day activities of the Laundry Department in accordance with federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations governing our facility, and as may be directed by the President, and/or the Director of Housekeeping/Laundry, to assure our facility is maintained in a clean, safe and comfortable manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the work/cleaning schedules are followed as closely as practical.
- Report all accidents/incidents to your supervisor no matter how minor they may be. (Note: Such occurrences must be reported on the shift in which they occur).
- Coordinate daily laundry services with nursing services when performing routine assignments in resident living areas.
- Attend departmental and staff meetings as directed or called.
- Perform tasks in accordance with daily work assignments.
- File complaints/grievances with your supervisor.
- Attend and participate in in-service educational classes, on the job training programs, etc., as scheduled or as directed.
- Attend and participate in annual OSHA and CDC in-service training programs for hazard communication, TB management, and blood borne pathogens standards.
SAFETY AND SANITATION
- Follow established fire safety policies and procedures.
- Follow established safety precautions when performing task and when using equipment and supplies.
- Wear and/or use safety equipment and supplies (i.e., back brace, mechanical lifts, etc.) when lifting or moving heavy objects.
- Ensure assigned work areas are maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.
- Keep work/assignments area free of hazardous objects, unnecessary equipment, supplies, etc.
- Follow proper techniques when mixing chemicals, disinfectants, and solutions used in the work area. Refer to material safety data sheets (MSDS) when necessary.
- Follow established policies governing the use of labels and MSDS.
- Report all hazardous conditions or equipment to your supervisor.
- Ensure established infection control and universal precautions practices are maintained when performing blood, body fluids, or hazardous chemicals.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment and supplies when handling infections materials.
- Discard sharps into designated container.
- Dispose of refuse daily in accordance with established sanitation procedures.
- Follow established policies governing the use/disposal of personal protective equipment and disposal of infectious wastes.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLY FUNCTIONS
- Keep supervisor informed of supply needs.
- Keep work area(s) free of hazardous conditions, i.e., spills, excess laundry carts, baskets, supplies, equipment, etc.
- Report all equipment malfunctions or breakdowns to your supervisor as soon as practical.
- Assist others in lifting heavy equipment, supplies, etc., as directed or requested.
- Clean work/supply carts, equipment, etc. as necessary/directed.
- Ensure equipment is cleaned and properly stored at the end of the shift.
- Perform day-to-day laundry functions as assigned.
- Perform specific tasks in accordance with daily work assignments.
- Perform assigned tasks in accordance with established laundry procedures.
- Collect, sort, and weigh soiled laundry, linen, garments, etc., and place in appropriate containers or assigned areas.
- Sort soiled laundry, linen, garments, etc., and separate those items that require special stain removal/treatments.
- Sort, count, and wash soiled laundry, linen, garments, etc., in accordance with established procedures.
- Fold, count, stack, hang, and distribute clean laundry, linen, garments, etc. to residents daily and/or as instructed.
- Clean floors, including sweeping, dusting, and damp/wet mopping. (Note: Assure appropriate caution/safety signs are properly set-up prior to performing such duties.)
- Keep walls and ceilings clean by washing, wiping, dusting, spot cleaning, disinfecting, deodorizing, etc.
- Remove dirt, dust, grease film, etc., from equipment or floor surfaces, using proper cleaning/disinfecting solutions.
- Discard waste/trash into proper containers and reline trash receptacle with plastic liner.
- Other duties as needed.
- Maintain the confidentiality of resident information.
- Knock before entering a resident’s room.
- Honor the residents’ personal and property rights.
- Report complaints of missing property to your supervisor
- Turn in all found articles to your supervisor.
- Must be capable to execute all terms and conditions set forth in the Employee Handbook including, but not limited to:
- Work in a safety conscious manner which insures that safe work practices are used in order not to pose a risk to others in the workplace.
- Complies with company policy and procedures, local, state and federal regulations.
- Adheres to policy on Drug Free Workplace.
- Maintain a dependable attendance record and adheres to standards of cleanliness, grooming, hygiene and dress code.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations under the ADA may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift at least 50 pounds to a height of 6 feet and be able to push, pull, move and carry such weight a minimum distance of 20 feet.