- 6+ years of experience in game design, preferably with 3+ years as a Lead Designer or Design Director
- Significant involvement in 2 published games, with at least 1 project at senior level
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exceptional creativity and design skills
- Strong knowledge of player mentality and motivations
- Strong technical ability to prototype game mechanics
- Passionate about narrative adventure games and the desire to grow their gameplay
- Knowledge of both contemporary gameplay and narrative design
- Strong understanding of current and past game trends
- Good knowledge of at least 1 industry-standard engine, ideally Unreal 4
- Familiarity with a variety of editors and scripting languages
- Understanding the specific needs of narrative adventure games
- Shipped at least 1 narrative adventure game
- An excellent understanding of non-linear narrative systems and structures
- Puzzle design experience, especially in the context of narrative adventures
If you are a talented and passionate game developer and you are looking to challenge yourself creatively, please apply today! Position is full time, on-site or remote, and applicants must already be authorized to work in the U.S.
About Deck Nine
Deck Nine Games is an independent game developer dedicated to crafting interactive story games that inspire, transform, and entertain players. Our passion is storytelling games.
Our first narrative game, Life is Strange: Before the Storm is loved by fans and has won multiple awards, including Game of Year and was nominated for both a VGA and a BAFTA. Recently we just announced our next game, Life is Strange: True Colors, due to be released in September 2021.
The studio is 100+ people and is in sunny Westminster, Colorado at the base of the Rocky Mountains. We hope to share more information about our next title with Square Enix as soon as we can.
We’re looking for talented and self-motivated people to join us as we aim to rise to the top of the storytelling game studios. We are part of the thriving Colorado game dev scene and our location offers a lower cost of living and a proximity to countless family-friendly activities and amazing outdoor opportunities. If this sounds appealing to you, please apply!
As the crafters of stories that encompass the full breadth of life’s experiences, Deck Nine is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and multicultural team in which people from all walks of life feel inspired to do their best work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and believe deeply in the creativity and strength built from diversity of race, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, nationality, and the many other qualities that make us different.