Job Title: Maintenance Staff
Location: Catalina Island Sea Camp
Work Year: Full Time/Year Round Starting Summer of 2021
**These are estimated dates that could change do to the guidelines from the CDC, State of California and County Public Health Officials.**
Reports To: Maintenance Director
FLSA Status: Hourly
Revision Date: March 2, 2021
The general maintenance person assists in the maintenance and operation of all building and grounds as well as assisting in facility security. The general maintenance person at Catalina Sea Camp has the responsibility to assist in maintaining a safe campus and ability to respond promptly to the facility needs as outlined by the Maintenance Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ability to operate all vehicles related to job description inclusive of: Servicing, loading and unloading of trucks, driving in treacherous road conditions, changing flat tires and making minor repairs when necessary.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to learn, organize, and implement maintenance thought out camp.
- Possess the ability to communicate effectively over the telephone and directly with staff, and suppliers.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to drive a vehicle and construction equipment.
- Ability to lift heavy loads 50-100 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladders for necessary jobs and repairs.
- Ability to operate maintenance equipment and to know proper safety procedures for each.
- Understanding of the Hazard Communication Plan and MSDS forms as well as other DQ Safety Programs including but not limited to lock out/tag out, confined spaces, respirators and bloodborne pathogens.
Specific Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Assist in general maintenance including carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, window glazing, roofing heating repairs, small electric motor repair and pool maintenance.
- Assists on repairs to engines and vehicles when necessary.
- Assist in general landscaping responsibilities when necessary.
- Perform manual types of labor as needed to repair or construct buildings and properties.
- Perform assigned preventative maintenance duties on a regular basis without supervision.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).