Job Title: Shift Cook
Location: Catalina Island Camp CIMI
Work Year: Full Time/Year-Round Starting Summer 2021
**These dates are contingent and could change do to the guidelines from the CDC, State of California and County Public Health Officials.**
Reports To: F&B Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: March 2, 2021
To be knowledgeable of all kitchen facilities and service. To perform duties in accordance with camp Cimi structure/standards. Responsible for physical aspects of the assigned department (i.e. kitchen and dining hall areas). To cook what is agreed upon by the Lead Cook and the F&B Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Exceed campers, staff, teachers and guests expectations.
- Read and understand the employee handbook.
- Read, understand and enforce safety manuals.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of all elements of Camp Cimi/GDI standard operating procedures.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes to prepare soups, salads, sauces and gravies, entrees, desserts and snacks.
- Bakes, roasts, broils, grills, steams, fries, sautés, and seasons meats, fish, vegetables and other foods.
- Washes, peels, cuts, dices, trims, shreds and otherwise prepares vegetables and fruits for use.
- Bakes breads, rolls, cakes, cookies and pastries according to recipes or instructions.
- Adjusts thermostatic controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broils, grills, roasters and steam kettles.
- Observes and tests the integrity of food being cooked by tasting, smelling and checking that it is properly cooked.
- Portions food on serving plates, bowls and platters, adds gravies and sauces, and garnishes servings.
- Communications to be accurate and timely, through written or verbal means.
- Observe all department rules, regulations and dress code.
- Demonstrate teamwork responsiveness when asked to do any task consistent with Camp Cimi Standards.
- Receives, checks and stores foodservice deliveries.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of dishes, equipment, food contact surfaces and kitchen area.
- Operates dishwasher and hand washes, pots and pans, as necessary.
- Maintain strict compliance of camp Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) program and be familiarized with current MSDS.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment “Clean As You Go”.
- Report any issues to the F&B Manager as soon as possible. Including any employee issues that may happen.
- Food Production - Follow all meal plans/weekly calendar.
- Preparation of food may include soups, entrees, sauces, cutting meat and fish, and preparing daily specials.
- Assist other stations in the kitchen dept.
- Direct the cleaning, preparation, and cooking of all vegetables.
- Inventory and organization of department reach-in, walk-in coolers, freezer, and dry storage.
- Proper storage of perishable product.
- Responsible for controlling food and supply waste.
- Unload all deliveries with the team.
- Ensures that all employees follow safety rules. Report any employee immediately to the F&B Manager if protocols are not being followed.
- Inspect incoming product, and monitor final product and its presentation.
- Requisitioning-purchasing and procedures. Complete requisition neatly with proper quantities and food specifications. Work with the F&B Manager regarding this.
- Equipment Knowledge- Maintain the care and cleanliness of all mechanical equipment. Provide safe work environment through proper use of equipment and personal tools. Monitor equipment daily and report problems to the F&B Manager.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- May perform food preparation functions in the event of staffing shortages or during peak periods.
- May accept and sign for deliveries, ensuring all items indicated are accounted for, and puts items in correct food storage areas.
- Communicates to F&B Manager any shortages of dishes, glass, silver, chemicals, cleaning supplies, service equipment, fuel or other supplies required to complete daily functions. Reports all breakage to F&B Manager.
- Ensures work area is kept clean and organized.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of the job the employee member regularly stands and walks for sustained periods of time. Works at a quick pace, maneuvering between functions occurring simultaneously. The employee member regularly grasps objects such as cookware, knives, plate ware and glassware. The employee member frequently feels the temperature of objects such as hot dishes and cookware. The employee member regularly reaches by extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction while serving and performing other essential functions of the job. The employee member regularly stoops, kneels and crouches. Many aromas and smells are present in the kitchen and dining areas. Balance is frequently required to prevent falling when walking, standing, moving or carrying cookware, plate ware, and food items. Lifting is regularly required when moving around dishes, cookware and supplies. Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move items such as cookware, dishes and supplies. The employee member is required to have visual acuity to determine the cleanliness, accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work areas.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in the kitchen and dishwashing areas. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the kitchen and dining areas. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts. The employee member is required to function in crowded or narrow aisles, passageways or work areas in the kitchen and dining areas. Camp life outside the kitchen and dining areas on occasion, depending on conditions can be dusty or wet at times.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).