Closing Date: March 28, 2023 - 9:59 p.m.
Oak Harbor is a diverse community that relies on the library for access to technology, learning, literacy, entertainment, and basic support services. The community is a combination of military and non-military families, immigrants, veterans, retirees, and the many people who support businesses and industries on Whidbey Island. The person selected for the Oak Harbor Supervising Public Services Associate position will be working with a supportive, hard-working staff team. We are looking for someone who has proven experience in excellent team building, time management, and communication skills, as well as commitment to providing exemplary customer service to the Oak Harbor community. The supervisor in this position is responsible for hiring, training and supervising library Page staff as well as supporting library circulation activities. They will be a vital member of the Oak Harbor Library supervisory team.
We Value Lived Experience
Sno-Isle Libraries is committed to embedding equity into our organization. As we engage in equity work, it's important to have a good foundation to frame the work and then provide training opportunities to build skills and knowledge.
We value and embrace the unique experiences our staff members bring to the organization and recognize how their experiences improve the service we provide.
As a valued member of Sno-Isle Libraries, the person selected for this position is eligible for sick leave, vacation leave, paid holidays, comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement savings, life insurance, and flexible healthcare and day care spending accounts. For more information about these benefits, visit our Employment FAQs webpage.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Supervise assigned Page staff to include interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, work direction, and performance evaluations.
- Perform circulation tasks such as charging and issuing materials to customers using the integrated library computer system; receiving and processing returned materials; returning materials to circulating collections or other appropriate location; supporting the circulation front desk; and providing information to customers on circulation policies and procedures.
- Provide circulation training and assistance to include helping staff with questions on procedures, updates, and resources.
- Respond to building and customer issues to include assuring the proper operation of the community library.
- Recommend and develop library procedures and process improvements.
- Serve as part of management team helping with planning and problem-solving service issues at the community library.
- May be in charge of the building in the absence of other supervisory staff.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- May oversee volunteers.
- Perform technical liaison duties including assisting customers with technology issues and diagnosing software problems as needed.
- Perform basic reader’s advisory and reference services.
- Assist with the daily opening and/or closing of the library and securing of the building and its office equipment as needed.
- Participate on various library committees as assigned.
- Prepare correspondences and reports.
- Train new staff as needed.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The position reports to the building manager. This position supervises assigned Page and volunteer staff.