Direct Service Staff members ensure every Thinkery visitor has a meaningful, relevant, high quality, fun and educational experience by providing exemplary customer service. They hold a significant responsibility to enrich the visitor experience by administering a creative, positive atmosphere that fosters the joy of learning. Direct Service Staff activate gallery and program spaces within and outside of the museum to deliver our mission directly to visitors.
- Proactively greet and engage guests in a friendly manner, providing the highest customer service.
- Engage and lead individuals and groups of children and adults from diverse backgrounds in an energetic, friendly, positive, and professional manner
- Actively monitor and maintain galleries and exhibits
- Maintain a safe environment for staff and guests.
- Manage crowd flow
- Maintain current knowledge of museum programs, exhibits, events and offerings
- Lead museum users in design challenges, experiments, explorations, demonstrations, and imaginative play.
- Serve as a role model for participants of the teen volunteer program by providing strong leadership
- Engage with volunteers and community partners
- Attend regular trainings
- Adhere to Thinkery policies and procedures
- Represent the museums key values of inclusivity, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation and creativity.
- Support a culture of cross organization communication, collaboration and information sharing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Problem solve and react positively to rapidly changing circumstances
- Thrive in a fast-paced, varied and demanding work environment
- Excellent communication skills including listening and comprehension skills.
- Prepare, assist and facilitate Thinkery programs and events including but not limited to Birthday parties, School Tours, Storytime, Off-Site Events and Facility Rentals.
- Process admissions, membership and store sales transactions utilizing a point of sale system and cash register.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and occasional evenings (minimum 16 hours/week or 3 shifts).
- Must be 18 years of age unless the minimum requirements for participation in the VolunTeen program have been met
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1+ years of experience in customer service
- Experience working with children and families
- Spanish fluency preferred, knowledge of ASL a plus
- Theatrical experience a plus as well as other creative skill such as: singing, musical skills, storytelling, puppetry, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is active. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Observe and react to the needs of guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Move throughout the museum
- Manipulate and move exhibit components weighing up to 25 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level
- Communicate and exchange accurate information with guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Detect and respond to safety hazards
- Occasionally work in outdoor environments
- If assigned to Admissions or Store: Operate a cash register and computer quickly and accurately
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.