Title: Human Resources Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Finance & Human Resources
Location: Downtown Charleston, SC
Type: Full-time, salary, exempt
A leader in the performing arts in the Southeast, The Charleston Gaillard Center commissions, supports, and presents ambitious, multidisciplinary cultural programming and provides access to the best local, national, and global artists and companies on its stage. Deeply rooted in the community, the Gaillard Center is committed to elevating local and regional voices and partnering with Charleston institutions to reflect the city’s diversity, both on stage and off. Through programming on its public campus and extensive arts education initiatives, the Gaillard Center serves as a platform to participate in community building and essential dialogue.
Located in the heart of the Inspiration Corridor, Charleston’s cultural hub, the Gaillard Center was established as a nonprofit in 2015. Its campus includes the world-class 1,818-seat Martha and John M. Rivers Performance Hall, a 16,000 square-foot Grand Ballroom, and a park space that is increasingly being activated for artistic presentations.
The Charleston Gaillard Management Corporation, doing business as The Charleston Gaillard Center, is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization responsible for managing the facility. For more information about the Charleston Gaillard Center, please visit http://www.gaillardcenter.org.
The Human Resources Coordinator’s primary functions will be to represent the Gaillard in our recruiting process, in the employee’s onboarding experience and to assist with payroll administration. This role will also provide administrative support to the Director of Finance & HR as needed, including; electronic document filing, HRIS entry and benefit administration. The Charleston Gaillard Center also provides HR support and management to the Charleston Symphony Orchestra (CSO), and this position will support the CSO’s HR functions as well.
- Launches and completes new hire paperwork through the company’s payroll system.
- Completes Forms I-9, verifies I-9 documentation, processes e-verification and maintains I-9 files.
- Runs new-employee background checks.
- Assists with payroll and timekeeping, including timesheet review and necessary adjustments.
- Supports and assists with company HR initiatives.
- Reconciles benefits statements.
- Conducts audits of payroll, benefits or other HR programs and recommends corrective action.
- Assists with processing of terminations.
- Assists with the preparation of the performance review process.
- Assists with recruitment. Tracks status of candidates in HRIS, screen candidates, communicate with hiring manager and prepare offer letters.
- Makes photocopies; mails, scans and emails documents; and performs other clerical functions.
- Creates and maintains employee personnel files.
- Assists and/or prepares correspondence as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information.
- Performs other HR related duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree in human resources or related field, or 2 years equivalent experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working understanding of human resource principles, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- 2+ years related HR experience.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced environment.
- Experience in a non-profit or arts organization.
- Experience working in Paycom, Financial Edge and/or Employee Navigator.
- Work may include prolonged periods of sitting, typing, or looking at a computer screen.
Schedule and Benefits
This position offers the flexibility of a hybrid schedule with the ability to work up to 3 days a week from home but no less than 2 days a week in the office.
The Charleston Gaillard Center also provides a competitive benefit package that includes:
- Fully paid medical insurance at the employee level
- Optional vision, dental, life, and disability insurance
- 4 weeks of paid time off
- 403(b) with up to a 4% company match
- Free and/or discounted tickets to performances
- Employer paid parking
The Gaillard is an equal opportunity employer. Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Gaillard is critical to our mission. To be a leading performing arts center in the Southeast, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging. For us, equity means that our staff members, our patrons, and our clients can experience the transformative power of the arts, no matter their starting place.