Under general supervision of the Operations Engineering and Planning Manager, the Manufacturing Engineering Technician I shall write product bills-of-materials (BOM) and production routing in the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system for a variety of make-to-stock, make-to-order, and custom-order items, and make necessary changes in those products and/or routings, as situations demand.
This position also monitors production progress, materials inventories, and other factors affecting schedules. Manage product revisions to ensure product structure integrity and availability for planning and scheduling.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Investigate new product requirements in order to determine the complete Bill of Material (BOM) and routing required in order to ensure accurate labor and material planning for production.
• Add part numbers and work centers according to the established procedure.
• Participate in production and pre-production meetings regarding new product development and implementing changes to the BOMs and routings as required.
• Correct and update BOMs and routings revised via Engineering Change Notice ECR/ECN procedure. Store these ECR/ECNs in a file for future reference.
• Manage the engineering changes (ECR and ECN) system.
• Update/correct production bills and routings for product integrity and accuracy.
• Run and analyze Syspro structure validation and Lead Time updates.
• Determine the most practical/cost-efficient procedure to produce and package a new product, either APH’s or custom ordered.
• Maintain part masters, manufacturing work centers, machines and cycle times in the system.
• Routinely, decide on the best product structuring and routing procedure for new or revised products for the most efficient workflow of transactions and materials.
• Working with purchasing, planning and warehouse staff, deciding the best packaging and storage options by commonizing materials and calculating batch sizes, dunnage, etc.
• Diplomatically and effectively, interface with other departments to resolve product structures and routing problems.
• Utilize lean manufacturing concepts to reduce waste and improve productivity through process improvements.
• Partner closely with sourcing, engineering, R&D, manufacturing, receiving, and scheduling on projects as needed.
• Work with team members to maintain workload balances in the department.
• Foster and maintain a positive business relationship with internal customers.
• Participate in team activities for implementing lean practices.
• Serve on ERP improvement teams.
• Serve as a backup in the materials group.