Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspiring a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography, and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, you’ll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
As the Associate Director, Communications for the Nutcracker Market, you'll be responsible for managing the success of various marketing initiatives and multiple projects within Houston Ballet's largest single-event fundraiser. This position requires an experienced and extremely organized, multi-tasking, self-motivated individual.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement media relation strategies with Public Relations firm, including brainstorming unique story angles, promotions, and advertising
- Review current marketing campaigns for weaknesses and develop solutions within budget constraints
- Analyze website click-to-purchase conversions and the effectiveness of promotions to drive ticket sales
- Brainstorming fresh advertising ideas with senior management, Media Buyer, and Public Relations Firm
- Design and implement graphics for presentations, sponsorship packets, media kits, and other marketing and PR collateral
- Track, organize and archive all graphics, press and photography from the Nutcracker Market and related events for publicity and communications use
- Help manage print, broadcast, and digital advertising campaigns
- Coordinate ticketing partnerships with Ticketmaster and H-E-B
- Maintain, update, post and track the Nutcracker Market social media presence via Facebook, email marketing, Twitter, Instagram, Blogs, etc. as directed by senior management
- Develop and update general/program brochures, media kits, key messages, fact sheets and other collateral materials
- Create content for communication publications such as Nutcracker Market News, Houston Ballet News, Tutu Times, etc.
- Maintain and update Nutcracker Market website content via Houston Ballets web content management system
- Assist and provide on-site media relations support at all events as needed
- Assist public relations firm with strategy and implementation of media relations including brainstorming unique story angles, writing, and distributing press releases, securing print and broadcast media features, influencer outreach and event marketing
- Create and coordinate public speaking engagements with/for department spokespeople
- Keep department bulletin boards updated
- Operate as an integral member of the Nutcracker Market Department team
- Answering phones, field questions and/or take messages as needed
- Attend events as needed
- Make deliveries as needed to printers, mail house, bank, post office, etc.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in marketing, public or media relations, communications, or related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a leadership role in prior marketing campaigns for large public events (consumer events a plus)
- Intermediate to Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is a significant plus
- Intermediate to Advanced Adobe Suite experience a significant plus
- Basic experience in graphic design/layout preferred
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Exceptional time management skills
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong proofreading and editing skills
- Proficient with marketing-related software programs
- History of planning successful campaign launches and events
- Proficient personal computer skills including email, record keeping, routine database activity and processing systems, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and the full Microsoft Office Suite
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access & EEO Statement:
Houston Ballet is dedicated to creating meaningful change by cultivating a space that honors what is unique in all of us. Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) are instrumental in the fulfillment of our mission and values. We recognize our responsibility to be an inclusive and open organization for students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds. Join us, together we are Houston Ballet.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Houston Ballet’s shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- EXCELLENCE: We are passionate about results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- ENGAGED: We are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. We attend performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. We are “all in” and well-versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- DRIVEN: We are driven to take goals and run with them. We are excited to deliver results beyond expectations. We are accountable for our actions and work. We reinvent Standard Operations Procedures, leaving our jobs better than we found them. Much of our work product becomes the standard for individuals who will fill our roles in the years to come.
- COLLABORATIVE: We unite around Houston Ballet’s mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously and treat our team members, customers, and patrons with respect and sensitivity. We embrace inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- PATRON-CENTERED: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.