The Surgical First Assist (SFA) is accountable for all activities related to the surgical recovery and safe preservation of organs from donors. SFA's wear many different 'Scrub-Hats' in the delicate process necessary to make the gift of life through organ donation happen. The SFA brings essential equipment for surgery, and scrubs into surgery directly assisting our remarkable Surgical Organ Recovery Specialists. After surgery, the SFA helps deliver organs such as the kidney, liver, pancreas, heart, lungs, and bowel in a chain of handoffs to the transplant recipient.
- Comprehensive anatomy training
- Surgical first assist, including sharp dissection
- Vascular dissection for cannulation of kidneys placed on perfusion devices
- Renal Pulsatile perfusion
- How to independently recover research thoracic and abdominal organs
- Independent recovery of heart for valve tissue processing
- Logistics around organ recovery and transplantation
This position has 3 career levels, with increased knowledge required at each level. We hire at all levels commiserate with relevant experience. Those with more experience can advance the levels faster while meeting the goals of each level. Applicants with all levels of experience are encouraged to apply.
What you will do
- Work a 24-hour on-call schedule
- Travel by personal automobile, commercial and chartered aircraft throughout LifeCenter’s donation service area which includes Alaska, Montana, Northern Idaho, and Washington
- Provide rapid on-site response
- Acts as Surgical First Assist to the Surgical Organ Recovery Specialist, or visiting surgeon
- Responsible for renal pulsatile perfusion of suitable kidneys for optimal transplantation outcomes.
- Trained to independently recover organs for research and heart for valve processing
- Preservation and packaging of organs for optimal transplantation outcomes
- Document case data and complete recovery documentation within assigned timeframe.
- Ensures effective communication and strong collaboration with hospital personnel, physicians, related donation agencies, transplant centers, and other LifeCenter staff.
- Assist thoracic recovery teams with recovery perfusion and packaging
What you need
- Previous Operating Room (O.R.) experience
- Surgical Technician Certification or relevant surgical training
- The ability to meet schedule and travel requirements
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds with or without assistance
- Knowledge of anatomy and aseptic technique
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster, or applicable medical or religious exemption will be required as a condition of employment upon offer. For those that need to complete the vaccination series, start dates will be adjusted.
Who we want:
- Someone who shares our values: Integrity, Collaboration, Service, and Courage
- Surgical First Assist experience
Experience that translates well into this role: The Organ Procurement Industry is unique, but generally we find that people with experience in the following industries can be successful in this position:
Scrub Tech, Surgical Technologist, Surgical Technician, Surg Tech, CST, OR RN, Surgical Physician Assistant (PA), Surgical Research experience, or experience working in travel assignments as a CST.