California School Employees Association
Field Office Administrative Specialist - San Diego, CA
The California School Employees Association represents over 250,000 school employees who work in 750 school districts in California. They provide support services to school children as para-educators, administrators, food service, bus drivers, nurses, and skilled employees in grounds, maintenance and operations. CSEA is the largest classified school employee union in the AFL-CIO. If you are passionate about serving our communities, schools and members, then CSEA may be the place for you!
Under administrative direction, responsible for independently performing a wide range of difficult fiscal, analytical, technical, and administrative functions for the Field Director, Labor Relations Representatives and members, including but not limited to administering and coordinating field office and organizing programs, activities, services, and work flow; coordinating, planning and preparing for field office staff meetings, activities, trainings, programs, and events. Develops and maintains complicated databases and reports. Assists in preparation and monitoring of field office budget. Coordinates and maintains PERB and other legal documents and files. Performs as the field office liaison to the Information Systems Department to provide technical and software assistance to field office staff, troubleshoot minor computer problems and assist with preventative maintenance of hardware.
Differs from a Field Office Administrative Assistant in the level of responsibility, independent judgment and initiative used in the coordination and administration of office functions and workflow, and assistance provided to the Field Director.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides a high level of administrative assistance to the Field Director in carrying out a wide variety of administrative responsibilities; coordinates and administers field office and organizing programs, activities, services, and work flow; coordinates, plans, and prepares for field office staff meetings, activities, trainings, programs, and events; assists local CSEA leadership, members and staff in understanding and interpreting Association policies, procedures, laws and regulations, and refers inquiries as appropriate; responds to sensitive requests for information and assistance; resolves or assists in resolving member and staff concerns, requests and complaints relating to the field office; independently composes, or responds to, correspondence of a routine nature; prepares or processes unfair labor practices, requests for legal services, arbitrations and other PERB or legal documents; takes, edits, and produces minutes of meetings; initiates and maintains records and correspondence for the Field Director, Labor Relations Representatives, and members, and prepares monthly updates on a variety of field operations, organizing, and research programs and projects; prepares required regular and/or requested special reports; assists in preparation and monitoring of the field office budget; keeps accurate financial records, including those pertaining to the activities of members and project organizers; reads publications, regulations and directives, including legal documents, and takes appropriate action; coordinates, maintains, and administers effective office procedures and work flow; assists with the coordination of all key political campaigns assigned to the department; works with, creates, and maintains complex data bases, templates, and reports; may manage local field office hardware inventory, responds to local field office/home office staff's requests for software or hardware assistance or training; works with the Information Systems Department to provide technical and software assistance to field office staff, troubleshoot minor computer problems and assist with preventative maintenance of hardware. May perform computer set up for training purposes. May perform, or assist in, the set-up and support of video conferencing transmission equipment, including checking equipment to assure readiness for use, adjusting equipment for audio and visual quality, and providing basic services to membership or staff. Assumes other responsibilities and assignments as requested by the Field Director.
Basic knowledge of:
- Association/PACE structure, policies, operating procedures, and practices;
- Field Office Secretaries Manual;
- modern administrative and office management procedures and methods;
- principles, procedures and techniques of research and investigation;
- principles of work flow administration and organization;
- Current rules and procedures of the court system, including statutes and other time limitations for filing responses;
- letter and report writing;
- appropriate English usage, spelling, vocabulary and mathematics;
- Association's current personal computer software applications, including but not limited to, Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, MSIS and COGNOS;
- operation and utilization of computer systems and related information technology equipment;
- technical terminology relating to the area of information technology;
- operation and utilization of video conferencing transmission equipment.
- effectively coordinate and administer a wide variety of services and programs for the Field Director and staff;
- Learn about and assist in preparation and monitoring of field office budget;
- learn and interpret specific rules, laws and policies, and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations;
- demonstrate significant initiative and exercise a considerable degree of independent judgment in the performance of duties;
- analyze complex administrative problems and make recommendations for changes and/or improvements;
- interpret and explain CSEA policies and procedures to members and staff;
- instruct and train clerical personnel;
- establish and maintain good working relationships with all levels of CSEA members, administrators, staff, and representatives of outside agencies;
- advise and guide others in reaching solutions to problems;
- handle difficult situations with diplomacy and tact;
- remain calm and think clearly under pressure;
- operate and utilize computer systems and related information technology equipment;
- type accurately at a speed of not less than 6570 wpm, take dictation if required by supervisor;
- compose original correspondence;
- make arithmetical calculations and spell correctly;
- prepare clear, concise and complete reports and legal documents;
- handle confidential information efficiently and with complete security;
- work cooperatively with the Information Systems Department to learn, use and provide assistance with technical systems and software, troubleshoot common computer software and hardware problems, and obtain assistance with preventative maintenance of local field office hardware;
- set up, support, and adjust video conferencing transmission equipment;
- work cooperatively with other CSEA departments, field offices and outside agencies.
Equivalent to graduation from college.
Three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in performing difficult and complex administrative work. Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a year for year basis.
The salary range for the Field Office Administrative Specialist is $5,433.58-$6,731.26. Starting salaries are typically at the first step on our salary range. Consideration may be given for exceptional qualifications and experience. We offer 18 paid holidays, 3 weeks’ vacation to start and 5 weeks after 7 years, medical benefits for you and your family, life insurance coverage and a pension plan.
Go to www.csea.com/careers, upload your resume and write a cover letter that tells us why this ad caught your eye and why we should hire you as our next Field Office Administrative Specialist! Only applications on our website will be considered.
Questions? Contact HR at HREmail@csea.com. Please do not send resumes or other documents to this email.
CSEA requires all employees be fully vaccinated and boosted except where barred by disability or religious objection.
CSEA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to building and supporting a diverse workforce.
This is a non-exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.