Pre-hospital patient care in accordance with the standards of the Texas Department of Health, the U.S. Department of Transportation and local medical protocols. Operation of emergency vehicles safely in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas.
1. Provide pre-hospital patient care as defined by the Texas Department of Health and the U.S. Department of Transportation for Emergency Medical Technician - Basic. Operate under local medical protocols.
2. Staff 9-1-1 Communications Center and take 9-1-1 calls.
3. Transmit to and receive information from Emergency Medical Services personnel in the field.
4. Operate all emergency vehicles in the Emergency Medical Services Department safely and in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas and the policies of the Emergency Medical Services Department.
5. Maintains an acceptable departmental standards of Emergency Medical Services, City and County roadways, traffic laws, use and care of equipment.
6. Demonstrates the knowledge and ability to complete the necessary Emergency Medical Services forms and documentation.
7. Demonstrates the knowledge of preventative maintenance on the emergency vehicles.
DEPARTMENTAL OR UNIT SPECIFIC:
1. Understands ACLS protocol and progression of protocol.
2. Recognizes need for and initiates protocol in the field setting. Recognizes signs and symptoms of cardiac and respiratory arrest.
3. Understands IV Therapy policy and procedure. Demonstrates patient teaching, site prep, and appropriate set up of equipment. Selects appropriate catheter\needle and insertion site based on patient need.
4. Demonstrates independent working knowledge of cardiac monitor, defibrillator, and pacer.
5. Demonstrates ability to independently apply cardiac monitor leads and combi-pads.
6. Demonstrates ability to independently adjust monitor settings
7. Demonstrates ability to perform cardioversion and defibrillation utilizing hands-on as well as hands-off techniques.
8. Utilizes electrodes and paddles as appropriate for patient size and age.
9. Demonstrates a working knowledge of the start triage system.
10. Demonstrates ability to properly complete EMS patient report forms and appropriately documents patient assessment and treatment.
11. Recognizes indications for use of a traction splint and demonstrates proper application.
12. Demonstrates proper pulse and neuro-vital checks pre- and post splinting.
13. Recognize indications for blood glucose testing.
14. Demonstrates ability to perform and document quality control testing, reports high and low test results.