Middle School Math Teacher
In an authentically diverse community reflective of Los Angeles, New Roads prepares young people for life by developing in them a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
Reporting to the Middle School Director, and working with the Mathematics Coordinator and department, the Middle School Mathematics Teacher is responsible for teaching mathematics at the Middle School, grades 6-8.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter, including use of correct mathematics vocabulary, and effectiveness in teaching.
- Demonstrated mastery of broad Mathematical content
- Ability to teach both procedural and conceptual problems through application.
- Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills, the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities
- Will maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
- Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to the learning process.
- Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles, behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level Mathematics
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment
- Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parents/guardians remaining sensitive to different families, cultures, values and needs.
- Show concern for and nurture the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, ethical, and aesthetic development.
- Show a commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the classroom
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings
- Collaborates with the Middle School Mathematics Department in planning, instructional practices, and student support.
- Ability and willingness to chaperone class trips and provide lunch and carpool duties as needed
- Participate in school or division-wide events/experiences
- Other duties as assigned