POSITION TITLE: MEMBERSHIP AND ANNUAL GIVING MANAGER
CLASSIFICATION: FULL TIME | EXEMPT
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
Thinkery is where Austin’s children and their families come to enjoy play-based, inquiry-rich, hands-on learning experiences. We believe that innovative, play-based, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) learning experiences are a powerful way for children to develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and curiosity about the world around them. Our exhibits and programs encourage children—alongside their caregivers—to solve creative challenges, explore a variety of materials, and to develop new ways to complete unfamiliar projects. Through these activities, children gain the tools and confidence to develop and grow into enthusiastic, creative, lifelong STEAM learners and thinkers.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development and Marketing, the Membership and Annual Giving Manager provides leadership in designing, implementing, overseeing and evaluating a multi-faceted membership and donor relations program that attracts and retains a diverse and engaged member and donor base to further the museum’s mission, increase community involvement and generate a consistent source of revenue. This position supports the organization’s capacity to develop offerings that attract members, donors and community partners.
Key responsibilities include design and implementation of annual fundraising strategy, membership acquisition and retention campaigns, maintenance of donor relationships and membership benefit fulfillment.
- Manages all individual giving initiatives including general membership, Thinkery Clubhouse and Big Thinkers, and Annual Fund; in addition to special programs like Community Partner memberships
- Develops and implements a comprehensive strategy to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward members and individual donors that includes direct response campaigns, onsite cultivation, online and social media strategies, and electronic communication. Collaborates with internal departments and external third-party consultants to create and design acquisition and retention campaign efforts
- Plays a key role in the identification of potential donors and cultivating relationships in effort to steward long-term and higher-level giving
- Takes the lead role in conceptualizing new membership programs and benefits, refining existing programs as needed to meet member needs and expanding the capacity of the organization to remain financially stable
- Creates regular reports that analyze the effectiveness of campaign strategies and adjusts as necessary
- Develops and manages annual budgets for membership and annual giving strategies
- Works with Membership Specialist and Guest Services team to assist in coordinating training and ongoing support for front-line museum employees for onsite membership sales and inquiries
- Executes and coordinates donor and member cultivation and stewardship events
- Collaborates cross-departmentally to identify, develop and deliver programming opportunities that enhance the donor/member engagement and retention
- Collaborates with the Marketing Team to develop a digital campaign and collateral to achieve member/donor acquisition and retention goals
- Projects a positive, helpful, friendly attitude to all internal and external constituents. Respond to all donor and member inquiries in timely manner
- Serves as an active member of the development team and supports all development events, trainings, meetings and projects
- Represent Thinkery’s key values of inclusion, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation, and creativity
- Support a culture of cross organization communication, collaboration and information sharing
Interns, Membership Specialist/Coordinator
- 2 or more years’ experience in nonprofit development or related field
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with relational donor databases; Tessitura preferred
- Advanced computing skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Highly detail-oriented and organized with the ability to implement systems and follow-up processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively work under pressure and produce a quality work with tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including proofreading and editing skills.
- Ability to work within a staff team and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish guidelines and make recommendations to improve process and procedures.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and responsibilities while maintaining efficiency.
- Ability to convey complex technical information in layman’s terms.
- Willingness to work flexible hours which may include nights and weekends on occasion
- Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day-a-week operation. Days and hours of work are largely Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, with flexibility for personal needs and preferences. Periodic duties outside of/in excess of regular work week schedule during seasonal high-volume times.
- Assist in engaging and sustaining volunteers through introduction, information sharing and oversight. Proactively provide support ensuring each volunteer has a productive, safe and meaningful experience.
- Professional attendance at some museum functions and special events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is largely inactive. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Observe and react to the needs of guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Move throughout the museum
- Manipulate and move exhibit components weighing up to 25 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level
- Communicate and exchange accurate information with guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners in a variety of formats including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
- Detect and respond to safety hazards
- Occasionally work in outdoor environments
- Operate computer efficiently and accurately
Thinkery offers competitive and affordable benefits for our full-time staff including options for 100% employer sponsored medical coverage. Our benefits package includes:
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans with each with 100% co-insurance after deductible.
- Affordable dental and vision
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation, 4 weeks of paid sick leave, and 13 paid holidays each year.
- Pet and child friendly offices.
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.