Job Title: Dishwasher
Location: AstroCamp, Idyllwild CA
Work Year: Full Time/Year-Round Starting Summer 2021
**These dates are contingent and could change due to the guidelines from the CDC, the State of California, and County Public Health Officials.**
Reports To: F&B Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: March 2, 2021
Responsible for washing/sanitizing dishes, glassware, flatware, cooking pots/utensils, and related foodservice equipment. Helps prepare and distribute food for campers, staff, teachers, and guests. Cleans kitchen areas and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Properly sorts soiled ware and prepares it for cleaning through the dishwasher machine.
- Washes dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, and pans according to camp standard of cleanliness. Items are washed using appropriate dishwashing machines or other kitchen cleaning equipment. Visually inspects all items to assure cleanliness. Cleans and sanitizes all walls, floors, counter surfaces, cutting boards on a continuous basis or as assigned.
- Places clean dishes, utensils, and cooking equipment in appropriate storage areas.
- Stocks supplies, such as food or utensils, in serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators, or salad buffets.
- Disposes of kitchen substances (such as grease) and kitchen chemicals properly. Transports garbage containers to dump sites and adheres to recycling regulations. Sorts and removes trash, placing it in designated pickup areas. Empties and cleans trashcans.
- Follows all standard food handling, sanitation, and health department guidelines.
- Must wear non-slip, oil-resistant shoes. Follows all safety policies and procedures. Acts on reports of potential safety issues or whenever observed and takes immediate action to resolve in emergency situations. OSHA laws require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE if applicable. The site provides the required PPE. Employee member has responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE or equipment that does not fit properly to their Manager. Maintains strict compliance with camps Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) program and familiarizes self with current MSDS.
- Reporting to work as scheduled (on time and on regular basis) is an essential function of the job.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- May perform food preparation functions in the event of staffing shortages or during peak periods.
- Keep dish machine properly cleaned and filled with water per kitchen standards.
- Communicates to management any shortages of dishes, glass, silver, chemicals, cleaning supplies, service equipment, fuel or other supplies required to complete daily functions. Reports all breakage to Lead Cook.
- Ensures work area is kept clean and organized.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of the job the employee member regularly stands and walks for sustained periods of time. Works at a quick pace, maneuvering between functions occurring simultaneously. The employee member regularly grasps objects such as cookware, knives, plate ware, and glassware. The employee member frequently feels the temperature of objects such as hot dishes and cookware. The employee member regularly reaches by extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction while serving and performing other essential functions of the job. The employee member regularly stoops, kneels, and crouches. Many aromas and smells are present in the kitchen and dining areas. Balance is frequently required to prevent falling when walking, standing, moving, or carrying cookware, plate ware, and food items. Lifting is regularly required when moving around dishes, cookware, and supplies. Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up-to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up-to 10 pounds of force constantly to move items such as cookware, dishes, and supplies. The employee member is required to have visual acuity to determine the cleanliness, accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work areas.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in the kitchen and dishwashing areas. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the kitchen and dining areas. The employee member is subject to hazards which include proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts. The employee member is required to function in crowded or narrow aisles, passageways or work areas in the kitchen and dining areas. Camp life outside the kitchen and dining areas on occasion, depending on conditions can be dusty or wet at times.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).