Job Title: Prep Cook
Location: AstroCamp - Idyllwild CA
Work Year: Full Time/Year-Round Starting Summer 2021
**These dates are contingent and could change due to the guidelines from the CDC, the State of California, and County Public Health Officials.**
Reports To: F&B Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: March 2, 2021
To be knowledgeable of all kitchen facilities and service. To perform duties in accordance with camp Cimi structure/standards. Prepare meal ingredients, simple dishes, condiments, and other items as directed by the Lead Cook/Shift Cooks.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Prepares meal ingredients as directed by the lead cook, shift cook, or other staff.
- Prepares fresh produce by peeling, cutting, and portioning.
- Prepares meat by trimming, cutting, and portioning.
- Prepares simple dishes such as breads or salads.
- Mixes or prepares condiments, dressings, and sauces.
- Maintains compliance with applicable health, safety, food handling, and hygiene codes and standards.
- Assists with unloading, inspection, and storage of raw ingredients and supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Observes and tests the integrity of food being prepared and served.
- Communications to be accurate and timely, through written or verbal means.
- Observe all Department rules, regulations, and dress code.
- Demonstrate teamwork responsiveness when asked to do any task consistent with Camp Cimi Standards.
- Receives, checks and stores foodservice deliveries.
- Maintain strict compliance of camp Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) program and be familiarized with current MSDS.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment “Clean As You Go”.
- Food Production - Follow all meal plans/weekly calendar.
- Assist other stations in the kitchen dept.
- Proper storage of perishable product.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Basic understanding of or the ability to learn basic sanitation and regulations for workplace safety.
- Basic understanding of or the ability to learn food handling techniques, preparation, and cooking procedures.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain personal hygiene.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of the job the employee member regularly stands and walks for sustained periods of time. Works at a quick pace, maneuvering between functions occurring simultaneously. The employee member regularly grasps objects such as cookware, knives, plate ware and glassware. The employee member frequently feels the temperature of objects such as hot dishes and cookware. The employee member regularly reaches by extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction while serving and performing other essential functions of the job. The employee member regularly stoops, kneels and crouches. Many aromas and smells are present in the kitchen and dining areas. Balance is frequently required to prevent falling when walking, standing, moving or carrying cookware, plate ware, and food items. Lifting is regularly required when moving around dishes, cookware and supplies. Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move items such as cookware, dishes and supplies. The employee member is required to have visual acuity to determine the cleanliness, accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work areas.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in the kitchen and dishwashing areas. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the kitchen and dining areas. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts. The employee member is required to function in crowded or narrow aisles, passageways or work areas in the kitchen and dining areas. Camp life outside the kitchen and dining areas on occasion, depending on conditions can be dusty or wet at times.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).