Reports to: Senior Director, Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 1
Minimum compensation: $48,000
American Progress is seeking a Facilities Assistant to join its Office Services team. The Facilities Assistant position is a physically demanding and highly visible role that supports the effective monitoring and maintenance of American Progress’ physical space, equipment, fixtures, and appliances and provides front desk coverage in partnership with the team’s Administrative Associate. This position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service through a variety of facilities-related and front desk tasks, including greeting and directing visitors and guests; answering and redirecting phone calls; setting up conference rooms; supporting internal moves; relocating furniture and making light furniture repairs; stocking and maintaining the supply inventory; and processing and distributing mail. The successful candidate will be expected to work from American Progress’ office five days per week.
The Facilities Assistant is a critical member of the Office Services team who not only supports efforts requiring daily physical labor but also advances effective overall business operations. The successful candidate must be able to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and respond quickly to facilities-related matters. American Progress is seeking a candidate who understands that effective maintenance of the office truly matters and ideally has experience in building maintenance or mail services.
This position is ideal for a candidate who supports American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all American, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
- Provide daily part-time front desk services in partnership with the Administrative Associate.
- Greet and announce guests in a professional, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Answer all incoming phone calls and ensure that they are redirected quickly, accurately, and in accordance with established guidelines.
- Open and/or close the reception area and maintain it in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Maintain and set up conference rooms and meeting spaces.
- Provide standard pre- and post-meeting make-ready services.
- Configure conference rooms by adding or removing furniture and other meeting materials as requested.
- Serve as backup to the Information Technology Services team for providing basic technical support in meeting spaces.
- Maintain and monitor American Progress’ workspaces, furniture, fixtures, tool availability, kitchen appliances and equipment, and office and kitchen supply inventories.
- Coordinate with the building’s engineering team to ensure smooth facilities operations.
- Repair and relocate furniture and amenities as needed.
- Track kitchen appliance warranty provisions and expiration dates.\
- Coordinate the repair and replacement of appliances and non-information technology equipment and educate staff on their proper use and care.
- Stock and maintain inventory of standard office and kitchen supplies on each floor.
- Execute general facilities operations.
- Support security efforts by activating and deactivating access cards and updating visitor and day-pass access card logs.
- Maintain orderly appearance of common areas and spaces.
- Address staff reports or requests concerning damages to equipment and the facility.
- Support emergency preparedness efforts by serving as tertiary member of the building’s emergency preparedness team.
- Provide workspace make-ready and set-up services, including by setting up new hire workstations and private offices, conducting post-departure desk purges, and serving as backup for conducting facilities orientations for new hires.
- Monitor heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) services and comfort levels by effectively resolving HVAC issues and escalating ongoing issues to building engineers and department leadership appropriately and submitting requests for overtime HVAC requests via the building engineering online portal.
- Receive, process, and distribute faxes, mail, and packages, including collecting and processing personal postage expenses, coordinating courier and messaging services, processing outgoing mail, and collecting and distributing newspapers and other publications.
- Support internal moves by providing moving supplies and assistance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to two years of facilities management, building/office management, or mailroom experience.
- Ability to be professional and poised with all levels of staff, politicians, dignitaries, and other high-profile guests.
- Mechanically inclined with the capacity to use—and learn how to use—tools.
- Demonstrated reliability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to exercise good professional judgment.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite—especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $48,000.
This position is expected to work from American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office Monday through Friday. We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire.