The Case Management Assistant (CMA), under the direction of the professional case manager, teaches the patient how to navigate a complex healthcare system and/or health plan. The CMA supports patients throughout the healthcare continuum, particularly those in the rising and high-risk categories. The CMA ensures that barriers are resolved and that the continuity of care for each stage of the continuum is as easy for the patient as possible. It is essential that the CMA collaborate with the licensed and certified professional Case Manager to supplement and compliment the plan of care and assist patients through the healthcare system.
Provides assistance to the Case Management Department.
- Issuance of CMC important message.
- Printing & Preparation of Patient Choice Form.
- Gathering patient documentation for referral and admission to LTAC, SNF, or Home Health
- Documentation is faxed/electronic transmission to next provider.
- Consent to release medical information is obtained if patient/family or guardian (medical power of attorney) is to transport medical information to next provider.
Provides assistance to patients.
- Assist patient with obtaining their medications using pharmacy voucher program as needed
- Pre-certify medications.
- Issuance of CMC Important Message
- Printing and preparation
- Procuring a primary care physician for patient without one.
- Arranging transportation home from the hospital or to and from appointments
- Scheduling follow up appointments
- Providing education and tips on navigating the healthcare system
- Provide daily coaching and encouragement to patients to follow the plan of care designed with the professional case manager. This can include calling patients to remind them to pick up prescriptions, check their blood sugar, blood pressure, weight, etc.
- Arrange durable medical equipment
Performs other duties to ensure appropriate support to the Case Management department.
- Performs reception duties as necessary. Answers telephone calls and visitor/staff inquiries; screens and directs calls and inquiries as appropriate; records detailed messages as appropriate.
Communication and Documentation
- Complete real time documentation.
- Document all communications and actions in EMR.
- Does not communicate to patient or family any clinical information.
- Does not provide any counseling to the patient or family.
- Does not document within billing system or on behalf of the Case Manager or any other staff member.
Other duties as assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.