Position: AstroCamp Summer Instructor
Location: AstroCamp, Idyllwild CA
Work Year: Summer (Estimated June 1st, 2021 Start)
**Employment/Dates are an estimate dependent upon COVID-19 guidelines from the CDC and The State of California and Riverside County**
Responsible to: AstroCamp Program Director
Teach at AstroCamp! We are currently hiring instructors for Summer Camp. AstroCamp is a unique non-profit education center that specializes in astronomy and physical sciences. Located on a forested campus near the town of Idyllwild at an elevation of 5,600 feet amidst the beautiful San Jacinto Mountains of Southern California. Instructors will teach their preference of our 38 classes to campers ages 8-17. These classes include hands-on science courses, ropes courses, mountain biking, archery, blacksmithing, dungeons and dragons, and many more.
Duties & Responsibilities
Specific Responsibilities (Examples of Duties):
- Learn to teach and explain scientific concepts in a fun manner to campers.
- Guide students through activities while ensuring a fun and safe environment.
- Supervise, participate in and occasionally lead recreation programs, maintaining control of the group.
- Adhere to camp safety rules and company policies and procedures, for the continued well-being of the campers and staff.
- Assist with camp programs. This may include leading creative programs, or other recreational activities during recreational periods.
- Assist with meal supervision of food services, including set up and clean up. Sit with the campers during some meals.
- Assist with group arrival and departure procedures as assigned.
- Be able to respond to emergencies when necessary.
- Assist with other departments when required, potentially for an extended period. This includes additional cleaning duties as required (wiping surfaces, extra cleaning of living spaces, etc.)
- Any other duties as assigned by Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or Head Counselor(s).
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to work with the campers, counselors, supervisors, and other staff effectively.
- Ability to communicate any problems with staff or campers to Program Director, Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or Head Counselor(s).
- Be in good physical condition with mobility, visual, and auditory skills to maintain control of 8-10 campers in a variety of environments (on track, in learning sessions, in the water, etc.).
- Ability to lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary. Lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Excellent communication and organization skills are necessary to ensure a good experience for the staff and campers.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or on a solo project as required.
- Ability to appropriately respond to emergencies and enforce appropriate safety rules.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 80-95 degrees with humidity of 75 – 100 % while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which include proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, or dust.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).