Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion – Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Operations Specialist in the Executive department. The Operations Specialist will be responsible for the management of workflow throughout all departments within American Progress. The purpose of this position is to optimize daily activities and performance of the organization across the board.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. Our aim is not just to change the conversation, but to change the country. The Executive department consists of a world-class team of professionals that focus on the overall operations of the organization. The department ensures alignment with the mission, vision, and strategic goals of American Progress.
- Assist the Chief Operating Officer in planning, organizing, and coordinating functions related to the operation of the organization.
- Assist the Director of Budget, Planning, and Forecasting in monitoring expenses and budget in line with the Finance team.
- Analyze and resolve escalated project issues that have the potential to jeopardize the ability to meet deliverables.
- Develop and implement complete project schedules to ensure that required dates are met.
- Work with internal and external cross-functional partners on operations and internal client-facing programs, and assist in developing, delivering, and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate with internal partners to develop annual plans and forecasts.
- Perform risk analyses to identify potential problems.
- Document processes and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Ability to work on various cross-functional subjects and workload organization (including tasks identification, workload evaluation, planning, and monitoring).
- Prior exposure to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- At least five years in an operations or support role required.
- Project management experience is strongly preferred.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.