Associate Vice President for Human Resources
Reports to: Chief Human Resources Officer
Direct Report(s): Director, Total Rewards and People Experience
Director, Talent & HR Business Operations
The Associate Vice President for Human Resources is responsible for overseeing the efficient and quality execution of all internal business operations of the Human Resources, and Total Rewards & People Experience functions. The incumbent will serve as a member of the organization’s Executive Council.
Vision & Leadership (30%):
- Upholds the agency’s mission and articulates a vision for HR, and a clear plan of action steps aimed at advancing that vision.
- Drives and sustains change; champions best practices for attracting, engaging, retaining and developing Graham’s workforce.
- Thought leader and strategic partner in co-developing and updating Graham Windham’s strategies for workforce and for the Talent, Development & Support team.
- Creates and maintains a psychologically safe working environment.
- Models and promotes dependable, responsible, professional and accountable behavior as well as positive team and organizational norms which align with Graham’s pillars; effectively collaborates with teams and colleagues across the organization.
- Actively confronts and discourages negative behavior, attitudes and norms; models enthusiasm and participation in team and organizational activities.
- Helps to define issues, informed by data as appropriate; extracts and validates information to help lead towards “solutions” when alternatives, information and objectives are ambiguous, deciding on the best uses of time and other scarce organizational resources.
- Communicates insights regarding our workforce with the leadership and executive teams and others as appropriate.
- Creates shared ownership for successful outcomes and accepts accountability for unsuccessful results.
- Communicates transparently and constructively.
- Leads inclusively and builds trust with colleagues and business partners.
- Upholds and champions the organizational vision objective of leading as an Anti-black racism organization.
Team Capacity Building, Upskilling and Sustainability (35%):
- Recruits, develops and supports a diverse, talented and committed (internal) team.
- Listens, builds trust with, coaches, teaches and supports staff.
- Provides clear and consistent feedback on performance strengths, opportunities for growth and progress towards short, medium and longer-term goals.
- Invites and accepts feedback from others including direct reports.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning, development, up-skilling and growth.
- Ensures consistent celebration of achievements and illustrations of recognition and appreciation to direct and indirect reports and colleagues.
Management & Organization (35%)
- Convenes regular (no less than bi-weekly) supervision with each direct report; holds meetings with each HR team on a bi-monthly basis.
- Achieves and maintains respectful, welcoming environments which allow staff to interact respectfully with each other.
- Uses data to drive efficient operational processes; insists on the organization, efficiency, transparency and superior customer service of each HR team.
- Ensures accountability for quality work and results, without compromising the dignity of others.
- Responds to time sensitive and high-risk matters with urgency, professionalism and with thoroughness.
- Ensures the SMART implementation of all new workforce and/or HR-related processes, systems and/or technology solutions.
- Ensures the development, maintenance and adherence to a SMART HR initiatives’ plan with specificity regarding what, who, how and when deliverables will be.